Forum: GNU Radio Location of config files

58b85b46524d4be0f88f4dd837ec2e28?d=identicon&s=25 Volker Schroer (Guest)
Hi all!

To keep two different versions of gnuradio I used two different
install-prefixes.
/usr/local/gnuradio-3.6 and
/usr/local/gnuradio-3.7

The idea was to switch between the two versions by setting a symbolic
link
/usr/local/gnuradio to the directory just required.

The installation works find but the second installation overwrites the
config files of the first installation as both config files go to
/usr/local/etc instead of <Install-prefix>/etc.

Is this a bug or a feature?

-- Volker
D3e3c5e41e9aed486856802be823e181?d=identicon&s=25 Johnathan Corgan (Guest)
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 3:38 AM, Volker Schroer <dl1ksv@gmx.de> wrote:

> /usr/local/etc instead of <Install-prefix>/etc.

Can you run these two commands, each with the symlink set to the
different
directories, and post the output?

$ gnuradio-config-info --prefix
$ gnuradio-config-info --sysconfdir

Running with multiple versions of GNU Radio installed the way you are
describing works, but may involve more than just using the symlink.
Here
is an FAQ entry describing one way to do it:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki...
58b85b46524d4be0f88f4dd837ec2e28?d=identicon&s=25 Volker Schroer (Guest)

> $ gnuradio-config-info --prefix
> $ gnuradio-config-info --sysconfdir

schroer@tux64 ~ $ gnuradio-config-info --prefix
/usr/local/gnuradio-3.7
schroer@tux64 ~ $ gnuradio-config-info --sysconfdir
/usr/local/etc

and

schroer@tux64 ~ $ gnuradio-config-info --prefix
/usr/local/gnuradio-3.6
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Volker Schroer <dl1ksv@gmx.de> wrote:

> schroer@tux64 ~ $ gnuradio-config-info --prefix
> /usr/local/gnuradio-3.6
> schroer@tux64 ~ $ gnuradio-config-info --sysconfdir
> /usr/local/etc

Ok, somehow the CMake configuration is messing up the calculation of
sysconfdir.  The line at:

http://gnuradio.org/cgit/gnuradio.git/tree/CMakeLi...

...should be appending 'etc' to the install prefix, which as shown above
is
correct.  But instead it is getting appended to '/usr/local', which is
the
default value if you don't specify a custom one when running cmake.  I'm
not sure what to make of this yet, but it is definitely a bug.
Ad80d352eb445a3d7dccd5a779db0e43?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Braun (CEL) (Guest)
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 06:02:54AM -0700, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> Ok, somehow the CMake configuration is messing up the calculation of
> sysconfdir.  The line at:
>
> http://gnuradio.org/cgit/gnuradio.git/tree/CMakeLi...
>
> ...should be appending 'etc' to the install prefix, which as shown above is
> correct.  But instead it is getting appended to '/usr/local', which is the
> default value if you don't specify a custom one when running cmake.  I'm not
> sure what to make of this yet, but it is definitely a bug.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen if you start with a clean build dir.
If you run cmake with -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, all paths will be correct.
Only if you re-run cmake with a new -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, it will only
update the install path, not the config path. If you're doing that, you
must explicitly set SYSCONFDIR as well.

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)

Dipl.-Ing. Martin Braun
Research Associate

Kaiserstraße 12
Building 05.01
76131 Karlsruhe

Phone: +49 721 608-43790
Fax: +49 721 608-46071
www.cel.kit.edu

58b85b46524d4be0f88f4dd837ec2e28?d=identicon&s=25 Volker Schroer (Guest)

> I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen if you start with a clean build dir.
> If you run cmake with -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, all paths will be correct.
> Only if you re-run cmake with a new -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, it will only
> update the install path, not the config path. If you're doing that, you
> must explicitly set SYSCONFDIR as well.

This was a clean build in a newly created build directory.

-- Volker
Existing account

No account? Register here.