Forum: Inkscape Is there a good way to do map regions?

2942e14d6ac0d238d35a514fe27d5a78?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Whipp (Guest)
I'm making SVG game maps where a region on the map is a closed path.
These
regions usually share boundaries with one another so they often form a
'mesh' (consider a grid of squares or hexagons as examples, although for
the maps the regions are rarely regular). To create them I have to copy
and
paste bits of path so that regions have nicely overlapping boundaries
which
works but is very tedious, particularly as I'd like to start building
maps
with large numbers of regions (>500).

I'm thinking I'd like to be able to start with a closed path (e.g. a
continental outline) and treat it as a 'region mesh' - this would be
like a
normal closed path except that I could add a 'branch' node to it that
would
connect to another 'branch' node, creating two regions - these would be
maintained as separate closed paths for export and the shared boundaries
would always exactly overlap.

However, it seems likely someone has faced this problem before - there
are
lots of SVG maps out there that have regions defined in this manner. Can
anyone point me towards a good solution for rapidly building a layer of
map
regions?
827ca7ffe66d5c3013da1fe3ff7091a5?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Funnell (Guest)
On Sun, 19 May 2013, Paul Whipp wrote:

> normal closed path except that I could add a 'branch' node to it that would
> connect to another 'branch' node, creating two regions - these would be
> maintained as separate closed paths for export and the shared boundaries
> would always exactly overlap.
>
> However, it seems likely someone has faced this problem before - there are
> lots of SVG maps out there that have regions defined in this manner. Can
> anyone point me towards a good solution for rapidly building a layer of map
> regions?

I don't really have an answer to your question, but while waiting for
one you might want to look at

http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/vectoreffects/master...
('Using vector effects to produce shared borders on paths' at the end)

and at

http://www.w3.org/2011/07/29-svg-minutes.html#item12

My impression is that what you (and I) want is thought to be desirable
but isn't available yet.

- Robert
2bbee79a6e24a65dd6c67778303c2bc5?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Mandel (Guest)
If you use Geospatial (GIS) software this is called topology. You can
use QGIS, GRASS or a other GIS tools to draw your regions, then export
the results to svg where you can pretty it up all you want.

Enjoy,
Alex
Existing account

No account? Register here.