Forum: Inkscape Illustrator complains about too many nested groups

D4749d18577f8642b90f271b6aefe9fe?d=identicon&s=25 Antony Lee (Guest)
One of my colleagues would like to use Illustrator (Adobe CS6, i think)
edit some SVG files I created with Inkscape, but Illustrator complains
about there being "too many nested groups".  Any hints on how I could
"fix"
the SVG?  (Perhaps I could convince him to switch in Inkscape too, but
well...)
Thanks in advance,
Antony
340db464063049cf1c1527b5ed80a24d?d=identicon&s=25 darkweasel (Guest)
Am 2013-05-16 04:25, schrieb Antony Lee:
> Hi,
> One of my colleagues would like to use Illustrator (Adobe CS6, i think) to
> edit some SVG files I created with Inkscape, but Illustrator complains
> about there being "too many nested groups".  Any hints on how I could "fix"
> the SVG?  (Perhaps I could convince him to switch in Inkscape too, but
> well...)

(Wow - Illustrator has arbitrary group nesting limits? And people
actually say it's better than Inkscape? Strange world we live in.)

You could export from Inkscape to .eps (or even .ai if you have that
option) and try to open that in Illustrator.
33a0818cf14f6003a8b3197dd902c21c?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Andler (Guest)
I'm surprised by the arbitrary limit too...

I would probably go the save as PDF route first if you aren't using
filters. If there is a plan to pass SVG files back and forth, I'd highly
recommend using the same software on both ends otherwise things will
quickly go south.

Cheers,
Josh
827edb15a6cb37b669fddc2008150102?d=identicon&s=25 Auguste Pop (Guest)
i guess this is a known problem in illustrator. it can not even open the
flag of united states svg on wikipedia, although all my browsers display
it
just fine.
7f6f9e75239bfcc5bfb41014e9dc9a26?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Owens (Guest)
On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 19:25 -0700, Antony Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> One of my colleagues would like to use Illustrator (Adobe CS6, i
> think) to edit some SVG files I created with Inkscape, but Illustrator
> complains about there being "too many nested groups".  Any hints on
> how I could "fix" the SVG?  (Perhaps I could convince him to switch in
> Inkscape too, but well...)

More pressure on your friend to use Inkscape. It's free, freedomic,
small, multi-platform and free. There's no reason not to install and use
it to at least export svg files to needed formats.

I'm not saying replace Illustrator, just don't arbitrarily limit one's
toolset by declaring a single vector program as the only one able to be
installed at a time.

Martin,
F812b5469f097cef62a67a629c465962?d=identicon&s=25 Arlo Barnes (arlo_b)
Agree with all the suggestions so far. For a one-time fix, select all
shapes (CTRL/CMD-A), ungroup them (CTRL/CMD-SHIFT-G repeatedly, as many
times as you think/know there are levels in the file), and optionally
regroup in one level (CTRL/CMD-G), and save (CTRL/CMD-S).
-Arlo James Barnes
0f02fea1a585e22538fcc6c88ca0a406?d=identicon&s=25 Hendrik Boom (Guest)
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 09:48:49PM -0600, Arlo Barnes wrote:
> Agree with all the suggestions so far. For a one-time fix, select all
> shapes (CTRL/CMD-A), ungroup them (CTRL/CMD-SHIFT-G repeatedly, as many
> times as you think/know there are levels in the file), and optionally
> regroup in one level (CTRL/CMD-G), and save (CTRL/CMD-S).
> -Arlo James Barnes

And please post how many levels you turned out to have.  It it's
something greater that, say 65536, it might indicate the nature of the
problem.

-- hendrik

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 07:25:56PM -0700, Antony Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> One of my colleagues would like to use Illustrator (Adobe CS6, i think) to
> edit some SVG files I created with Inkscape, but Illustrator complains
> about there being "too many nested groups".  Any hints on how I could "fix"
> the SVG?  (Perhaps I could convince him to switch in Inkscape too, but
> well...)
> Thanks in advance,
> Antony

Sounds like time to file a bug report, whatever else you do.

-- hendrik
Effa57d3f1f478f14850c91c740f36ce?d=identicon&s=25 Antony Lee (Guest)
I only had 5 levels, which doesn't sound crazy...
Thanks for the suggestions.
Antony

2013/5/18 Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com>
9625234ca6ba67c5e03b0f84219141fc?d=identicon&s=25 Maarten van der Velde (Guest)
Just wondering: are you using layers in the Inkscape file? Because
Inkscape
layers are not real layers, but also just groups (at least: in the
SVG-file).
Maybe Illustrator gets confused about  that.

If any program ought  *not* complain about too many nested groups, it's
Illustrator...Groups in clipping paths in layers in composite paths in
groups in groups in groups in groups  in layers...

Other brainfart: might there be 'clones' in your Inkscape document that
Illustrator doesn't like?

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Maarten van der Velde <
Existing account

No account? Register here.