Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 [ANN] Ruby-GNOME2 2.0.0

The Ruby-GNOME2 project released Ruby-GNOME2 2.0.0:
  http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?News_20130429_1

Yes! It is 2.0.0!!!

This release includes Windows binary included gem for
GObject Introspection based bindings. For example,
Ruby/GStreamer and Ruby/Clutter are these bindings. I
decided that using "2.0.0" for this release because we can
continue to develop Ruby-GNOME2 based on GObject Introspection.

GObject Introspection based bindings work well for simple
usage but complex usage will not work well. Especially,
object ownership related work will not be stable. If you
find memory leaks and/or double-free SEGV, please report it
to us.

Since this release, Ruby/GStreamer is based on GObject
Introspection and supports GStreamer 1.0. But old GStreamer
0.10.x support is dropped. If you want to use with old
GStreamer, please use old Ruby/GStreamer.

== Help us!

=== About Ruby/GTK3

Many sample programs for Ruby/GTK3 aren't migrated from
Ruby/GTK2. They reports many warnings. We want to migrate
all sample programs from Ruby/GTK2. We want you to help us
for the work.

Here are work flows to start the work.

  % gem install gtk3
  % git clone git@github.com:ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2.git
  % cd ruby-gnome2/gtk3/gtk-demo
  % ruby main.rb # reports many warnings
  % vim xxx.rb # You fix warnings and errors
    # See Ruby/GTK2 version program to confirm the expected behavior:
    #   % cd ${RUBY_GNOME2_TOP_DIR}/gtk2/gtk-demo
    #   % ruby main.rb
    # And see also the original sample programs in GTK+ 3:
    #   https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/tree/demos/gtk-demo
    # We may have some missing samples. If you find some
    # missing samples, please port it to Ruby/GTK3.

We are happy that you send a pull request for the work.

The above work flows for gtk-demo but there are more samples
in gtk3/misc/ and gtk3/testgtk/. We want you to help us for
the samples.

=== About GObject Introspection bindings

We want to replace existing bindings by GObject
Introspection based bindings. If the bindings is GObject
Introspection ready. To be specific, first we want to
replace Ruby/GStreamer and Ruby/GooCanvas with GObject
Introspection based bindings. Ruby/GStreamer is almost
replaced but many minor APIs aren't confirmed yet.  We want
you to help us for the work.

GStreamer and GooCanvas has many API. So their bindings
aren't completed yet. Their bindings are still
"experimental". And their bindings don't support the latest
version yet.
If we get GObject Introspection based bindings, we can
support the latest version semi automatically. Both
developers and users will be happy.

To be specific, we want you to port sample programs for them
to Ruby.

We want you to port sample programs of GStreamer and
GooCanvas to Ruby by requiring those bindings.

Here are work flows to start the work.

For GStreamer:

  % gem install gobject-introspection
  % git clone git@github.com:ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2.git
  % cd ruby-gnome2/gstreamer
  % vim sample/xxx.rb
  require "gst"
  Gst.init
  # Port a sample
  % ruby -I sample sample/xxx.rb

You can find samples for GStreamer at
  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/tr...

For example:
  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/tr...

For GooCanvas:

  % gem install gobject-introspection
  % git clone git@github.com:ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2.git
  % cd ruby-gnome2/goocanvas
  % vim sample/xxx.rb
  require "goocanvas-gi"
  # Port a sample
  % ruby -I sample sample/xxx.rb

You can find samples for GooCanvas at
  http://git.gnome.org/browse/goocanvas/tree/demo

And we want to use GObject Introspection for new bindings
such as Ruby/WebKitGTK. There are the bindings but it
doesn't have ported samples. We need to port WebKitGTK+
samples to create usable API. Here is work flow to start the
work:

  % gem install gobject-introspection
  % git clone git@github.com:ruby-gnome2/ruby-gnome2.git
  % cd ruby-gnome2/webkit-gtk
  % vim sample/xxx.rb
  require "webkit-gtk"
  WebKitGtk.init
  # Port a sample
  % ruby -I sample sample/xxx.rb

We are happy that you send a pull request for a sample.

You may find a sample that can't be ported well. If you find
it, please tell us by pull request or sending an email to
this mailing list. The sample may use a feature that is not
implemented in Ruby/GObjectIntrospection.

== Install

  % gem install gtk2
  % gem install gtk3

== Ruby-GNOME2 2.0.0: 2013-04-29

GObject Introspection based bindings on Windows support release!

=== Changes

==== NEWS

  * Fixes
    * Fixed a typo. [Reported by Masafumi Yokoyama]
    * FIxed a typo. [Reported by Toyo Abe]

==== Ruby/GLib2

  * Improvements
    * Moved lib/gnome2-*.rb files to lib/gnome2/ directory.
    * Supported GLib 2.34. [Reported by OBATA Akio]

==== Ruby/GdkPixbuf2

  * Fixes
    * [windows] Fixed PNG can't be handled problem.
      [ruby-gnoem2-devel-ja] [Reported by Masafumi Yokoyama]

==== Ruby/GDK3

  * Improvements
    * [windows] Removed needless Greybird theme.
      [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] [Reported by Regis d'Aubarede]
    * Added Gdk::Window#create_cairo_context
      [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] [Reported by Detlef Reichl]

==== Ruby/GTK3

  * Improvements
    * Updated samples.
      [GitHub #140][GitHub #141][GitHub #144]
      [Patch by Simon Arnaud]
      [GitHub #142][GitHub #143][GitHub #145][GitHub #146][GitHub #148]
      [Patch by Detlef Reichl]

==== Ruby/GObjectIntrospection

  * Improvements
    * [windows] Supported!

==== Ruby/GStreamer

  * Improvements
    * Supported GStreamer 1.0!
    * Migrated to GObject Introspection bindings!
    * Dropped GStreamer 0.10 support.

==== Ruby/Clutter

  * Improvements
    * [windows] Supported!

==== Ruby/ClutterGTK

  * Improvements
    * [windows] Supported!

=== Thanks

  * Masafumi Yokoyama
  * Toyo Abe
  * OBATA Akio
  * Regis d'Aubarede
  * Detlef Reichl
  * Simon Arnaud

kou
B078cb4f4fb473c7a54d1fc36d10c70e?d=identicon&s=25 Regis d'Aubarede (raubarede)
on 2013-05-01 00:03
Hello,
All work find, with my ruiby dsl test case, on windows,
Thank you for the job!

In <ae5197e23358f20bed4e206753746b20@ruby-forum.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] [ANN] Ruby-GNOME2 2.0.0" on Wed, 01 May
2013 00:03:00 +0200,
  Regis d'Aubarede <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> All work find, with my ruiby dsl test case, on windows,
> Thank you for the job!

It's good news. :-)
Thanks for confirming it!

--