Forum: Inkscape Re: Web design using Inkscape.

F9ae083a8503706b4c5969777772b06d?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
analytics on semi-structured data. The platform includes APIs for
building
Faf7c5b7f2c3eb1a151d0b4f73345397?d=identicon&s=25 Tavmjong Bah (Guest)
On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 07:47 -0700, archil@imnadze.ge wrote:
> Gvirabi's background is a big bulk image and definitely not a good
> example. Perhaps, this might be a good example for size reduction.
> It's an icon set and there are too many small objects:
> http://gvirila.com/launch/images/sprite.svg
>
> http://gvirila.com/launch/images/sprite.png

On the web you should be serving compressed SVG files. The compressed
sprite.svg is 18288 bytes, smaller than sprite.png which is 18833 bytes.
If you clean up the SVG (remove the 36 unused definitions and save with
the option available in 0.49 to remove unused/redundant/incorrect
attributes) it compresses to 14492 bytes. SVG (and XML in general)
compresses really well.

Tav
56535f9b706b64b9c4b780c79a2c6e20?d=identicon&s=25 John Fisher (Guest)
Tav, thats interesting. Anything special to know about how to do the
compression?

I have a similar problem, a very large SVG with a zillion gradiants and
other unused cruft and the vacuum command
doesn't clean them up.
C8c7c0354ccd194fe57e45c8720b78a1?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Crutch (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Tavmjong Bah <tavmjong@free.fr> wrote:

> On the web you should be serving compressed SVG files. The compressed
> sprite.svg is 18288 bytes, smaller than sprite.png which is 18833 bytes.
> If you clean up the SVG (remove the 36 unused definitions and save with
> the option available in 0.49 to remove unused/redundant/incorrect
> attributes) it compresses to 14492 bytes. SVG (and XML in general)
> compresses really well.
>
> Tav

Unless storage space is an issue, or you have a very slow server, I
would
suggest having uncompressed SVG files, but enabling GZip compression on
the
web server software itself (Apache, IIS, etc). That gives you the size
advantage of SVGZ but will also reduce the size of other files that you
serve.

(I'm a hypocrite in this regard, as I serve SVGZ files, but that's
because
we've got over 200 comics available for download and the extra storage
space costs money).

Mark

--
Co-creator of *The Greys* and *Monsters, Inked* webcomics, created with
Inkscape

Website      http://www.peppertop.com/
Facebook   http://facebook.com/TheGreysComic
Twitter        https://twitter.com/TheGreysComic