Forum: Inkscape Using Braille labels in inkscape

Db15e18793a09a11c8b4e5433f60e3e3?d=identicon&s=25 Pranav Lal (Guest)
Hi all,

Is it possible to use Braille labels in inkscape? Is there a way to
import
Braille fonts? I have vector diagrams that I need to Braille label. See
an
example at
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3688386/drawing%207.svg

Pranav
57caf4231f0a1fb65e5ff67aba784542?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Tooley (Guest)
I think you have an extra braille font installed. If that's the case,
you
can send it to other people to install (might be scary thing for them)
or,
you can simply convert the text objects to a path (Path>Object to Path),
which renders the font to an svg path for you - I do this whenever I
have
bizarre fonts and I need to make the svg portable.  Please note that
once
you convert to path, you'll not be able to edit the text with the text
tool.
56ec01a5220915dd463db71ba225796a?d=identicon&s=25 Jurgen Gaeremyn (Guest)
On 09-04-13 17:06, Pranav Lal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to use Braille labels in inkscape? Is there a way to import
> Braille fonts? I have vector diagrams that I need to Braille label. See an
> example at
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3688386/drawing%207.svg
>
> Pranav
Hi Pranav,

I think you could - with some manual tweaking - make use of the
@font-face CSS feature.
Have a look on this page:

http://nimbupani.com/about-fonts-in-svg.html

Grtz,
Jurgen.
Aefd46e73e6b7449c5ce1ce0156797d2?d=identicon&s=25 ~suv (Guest)
On 2013-04-09 17:06 +0100, Pranav Lal wrote:
> Is it possible to use Braille labels in inkscape? Is there a way to import
> Braille fonts? I have vector diagrams that I need to Braille label. See an
> example at
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3688386/drawing%207.svg

Inkscape includes an extension to convert (ASCII) letters (A-Z, a-z) to
Braille ASCII:
<http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Exten...

*** Note: unfortunately the version shipping with Inkscape 0.48.3.1 and
0.48.4 is broken - 0.48.5 will include a fix, as do current development
builds.

If converting ASCII text to Braille ASCII is sufficient for your needs,
you can replace the broken python file in your Inkscape installation [2]
with the attached updated version (it includes the fix, as well as the
remaining Braille ASCII glyphs not included in the original version).

I'm also attaching a sample SVG file with all glyphs available in
Braille ASCII [1]: the Braille version of the text has been converted to
paths (to not depend on fonts available on your system) - for better
readability, I did use the font 'Apple Braille', which shows empty
circles to indicate dots that are not punched.

Note: on Windows, you'll need to install a font which includes the
Braille Unicode Glyphs, e.g. DejaVu Sans [3], and use that font for the
text to be shown in Braille. On other systems (Linux, OS X), font
substitution will work in case the font of the text does not include the
Unicode Braille glyphs, and substitute the Braille glyphs from a
matching (fallback) font.

hth, ~suv

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braille_ASCII#Braille...
[2] On Windows, the shared extensions are installed in
'share\extensions' inside Inkscape's program folder
[3] <http://dejavu-fonts.org/>
Db15e18793a09a11c8b4e5433f60e3e3?d=identicon&s=25 Pranav Lal (Guest)
Hi Chris,

I want to create Braille labels in Inkscape and label tactile diagrams
in Braille. How should I do this assuming I have a Braille font?

Pranav
57caf4231f0a1fb65e5ff67aba784542?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Tooley (Guest)
Hi Pranav,

I may have a severely deficient understanding of how Braille works on
computers, one of the other suggestions might yield better results :)

-Chris
1630f7218bbdae9efc7a1b25262b5dee?d=identicon&s=25 "|| ΣΖΟ || " <manostienen@gmail.com> (Guest)
hmmmm, would be nice to be able to export braille text into .stl format.
And then print them in a 3D printer

Braille labels...
Existing account

No account? Register here.