Forum: GNU Radio Using an RTL Tuner with Windows

B0df3679eb98b672b1831bbfc6081ba7?d=identicon&s=25 Andy (Guest)

I have installed the ettus binary of gnuradio in windows 7 which seems
work fine however I cannot work out how to get an RTL-SDR block to use
it
with a RTL2832U TV Tuner?

I decided maybe I should go with Cygwin, as I already had it installed,
so I
could try and compile the code for the RTL, I followed the instructions
on
the gnuradio site but I just cannot get wxPython to compile, I get a
cannot
find file or folder direct.h error after running make

I've spent about a week trying to get things going, please help...

Thanks,
Andy
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Andy <a_w_smith@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I've spent about a week trying to get things going, please help...
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

I would focus on getting things working natively in Windows than
trying to work it out under Cygwin. But having said that, since I
don't use Windows, I can't guarantee that the RTL-SDR will work under
Windows. Can you explain more what's going wrong when you try to use
it?

Tom
B0df3679eb98b672b1831bbfc6081ba7?d=identicon&s=25 Andy (Guest)
> I would focus on getting things working natively in Windows than
> trying to work it out under Cygwin. But having said that, since I
> don't use Windows, I can't guarantee that the RTL-SDR will work under
> Windows. Can you explain more what's going wrong when you try to use
> it?
>
> Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for replying, the issue is I don't know how to create or add the
source block to try it, as I am on windows do I need to compile the
block
from the source code? If so I don't know how, or do I just need to copy
the
source into the gnuradio file system?

TIA
Andy.
On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Andy <a_w_smith@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for replying, the issue is I don't know how to create or add the
> source block to try it, as I am on windows do I need to compile the block
> from the source code? If so I don't know how, or do I just need to copy the
> source into the gnuradio file system?
>
> TIA
> Andy.

Andy,

My guess is that you'll have to compile the RTL-SDR code by hand for
Windows, and I can't help you with that.

Anyone else have any experience with the RTL-SDR code and Windows that
can help?

Thanks,
Tom
0817fa933c74eec9b3fcf3a04e16f418?d=identicon&s=25 Sylvain Munaut (Guest)
> My guess is that you'll have to compile the RTL-SDR code by hand for
> Windows, and I can't help you with that.

There is pre-built version of the rtl-sdr library (
http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr ) but not of the gnuradio
block.

I don't have any experience with windows, but just try to build the
rtl-sdr library ( git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr ) then the source
block ( git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr ). Both support cmake build
system, so build and install them exactly like you would build and
install gnuradio itself ...

Cheers,

    Sylvain
79b27563469f31314903878209a41971?d=identicon&s=25 Koslowski, Sebastian (CEL) (Guest)
Sylvain is right, you can use the pre-build binaries. I've worked with
the rtl-sdr library on windows before [0], although not with gnuradio.
If you can to compile the source block, it should work fine.

For the driver installation I tried a tool called Zadig (it failed). So
I downloaded the WinUSB drivers [2] myself and changed VID/PID in the
inf-file to match my device before installing the driver.

Sebastian

[0] https://github.com/kit-cel/simulink-rtl-sdr
[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwdi/files/zadig/
[2] http://libusb-winusb-wip.googlecode.com/files/winu...

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)

Dipl.-Ing. Sebastian Koslowski
Research Associate

Kaiserstrae 12
Building 05.01
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany

Phone: +49 721 608-46275
Fax:   +49 721 608-46071
Email: sebastian.koslowski@kit.edu
Web:   http://www.cel.kit.edu/

KIT  University of the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg and National
Research Center of the Helmholtz Association
0c86c3b09550eaad22e8a35a3a189672?d=identicon&s=25 Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras (Guest)
www.sdrsharp.com tells how to use zadig, and which ones work, and which
don't. I am using only sdr# and hdsdr under Windows, both with RTL2832
sticks and USRP1, without any problems. The RTL stick is my all day
companion (with an exclusive place in my laptop bag :-) when traveling
on
train and wanting to know what the RF spectrum has to tell :) Hopefully
bladeRF will replace it soon, then I even can talk back to the
spectrum...

Ralph.

Existing account

No account? Register here.