Forum: Ruby on Rails Help displaying text

Be2b7277cff8516117cbd7a33df7b03a?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Castellano (dcastellano1)
on 2013-01-27 20:31
Apologies in advance ...this may be a really dumb question but here
goes.

@formatted_question[:a] contains text with HTML markup.  I want to
display it in a field so I can control its vertical and horizontal size
on the page. When it is displayed on the page now, rather than
interpreting the HTML, it is output into the text field as a string with
all HTML tags showing.  What am I doing wrong??

    <%= text_area_tag id="cka",(@formatted_question[:anno_a]) %>

Any help would be greatly appreciated
On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Dave Castellano <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

> @formatted_question[:a] contains text with HTML markup.  I want to
> display it in a field so I can control its vertical and horizontal size
> on the page. When it is displayed on the page now, rather than
> interpreting the HTML, it is output into the text field as a string with
> all HTML tags showing.  What am I doing wrong??

Misusing a form element :-)

>     <%= text_area_tag id="cka",(@formatted_question[:anno_a]) %>

That's the way a text area works; if you want to control display size,
use CSS to size the appropriate block-level container (e.g. div, p).

http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan
On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:04 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

>>    <%= text_area_tag id="cka",(@formatted_question[:anno_a]) %>
>
> That's the way a text area works; if you want to control display size,
> use CSS to size the appropriate block-level container (e.g. div, p).
>
> --
> http://about.me/hassanschroeder
> twitter: @hassan

Also, you need to indicate that the contents should not be escaped, but
delivered as-is to the page:

  <%=raw @formatted_question[:anno_a] %>

Note the ERB tag begins "<%=raw" That 'raw' is
http://apidock.com/rails/ActionView/Helpers/Output... and
will send the actual contents, i.e., the HTML, to the page.

-Rob
Existing account

No account? Register here.