Forum: Ruby on Rails zipping remote files

56decaf25f2dfab79db4da45a5ff84d1?d=identicon&s=25 Saravanan P (Guest)
Hello everyone

I am using rubyzip gem for zipping files.

Zipping local files are good and except zipping remote files.

Example(my code):
save_path="xxx/xx"
image_list = ["http://xxxx.xx.image.jpg","http://xxxx.xx.image.jp...]
   Zip::ZipFile.open(save_dir, Zip::ZipFile::CREATE) { |zipfile|
    image_list.each do |image|
      zipfile.add(image, save_pathr + '/' + image)
    end
   }

I am gettting error as *"No such file or directory
- http://xxxx.xx.image.jpg"*
*
*
how can zip my remote files?
Ce5e201eca55d4f79d0ead9acc91d544?d=identicon&s=25 Dheeraj Kumar (Guest)
Save the image to your local filesystem, then pass those locations to
the method, rather than passing HTTP urls directly.

--
Dheeraj Kumar
56decaf25f2dfab79db4da45a5ff84d1?d=identicon&s=25 Saravanan P (Guest)

--
Regards by
Saravanan.P

Why don't you download the files on a remote server, perhaps a EC2
instance, then run your script to zip them up, and then download the
resulting zip file?

--
Dheeraj Kumar
> There is no other way? Because it take time to download from server to
> local.

How can you expect to zip it without fetching the file first, from the
machine xxxx.xx in your example?  Do you expect the rubyzip gem to
somehow run on that machine and then send you the zipped file?

Colin
56decaf25f2dfab79db4da45a5ff84d1?d=identicon&s=25 Saravanan P (Guest)
I am using amazon s3 service. I dont know about EC2.
I am zipping multi images which uploaded by customer in one day.
In this case, the images will be more. so if i download and added into
zip
file, it may take comeplte too long.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Dheeraj Kumar

--
Regards by
Saravanan.P

Here's an article on fast zipping in S3:
http://www.w2lessons.com/2012/01/fast-zipping-in-a...

Wait, you know S3 but you don't know EC2? Huh.

--
Dheeraj Kumar
Existing account

No account? Register here.