Forum: NGINX Nginx Location Matching Documentation Update

2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 kustodian (Guest)
on 2012-10-18 13:24
(Received via mailing list)
I would recommend that the documentation for location matching is
updated
http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule#location, explicitaly the example.
It
should contain a conventional strings besides the root '/' of the site:

location  = / {
  # matches the query / only.
  [ configuration A ]
}
location  / {
  # matches any query, since all queries begin with /, but regular
  # expressions and any longer conventional blocks will be
  # matched first.
  [ configuration B ]
}
location ^~ /images/ {
  # matches any query beginning with /images/ and halts searching,
  # so regular expressions will not be checked.
  [ configuration C ]
}
location /media/ {
  # matches any query beginning with /media/ and continues serching,
  # so regular expressions will be checked. This will be matched only if
  # regular expressions don't find a match
  [ configuration D ]
}
location ~* \.(gif|jpg|jpeg)$ {
  # matches any request ending in gif, jpg, or jpeg. However, all
  # requests to the /images/ directory will be handled by
  # Configuration C.
  [ configuration E ]
}

I don't know who could I ask about this, but I think that it's important
that all 4 explained steps in the documentation are covered by the
example.

Posted at Nginx Forum:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,231966,231966#msg-231966
C9264ddbc4a782fff755b0125364cbdf?d=identicon&s=25 Valentin V. Bartenev (Guest)
on 2012-10-18 14:08
(Received via mailing list)
On Thursday 18 October 2012 15:24:14 kustodian wrote:
> I would recommend that the documentation for location matching is updated
> http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule#location, explicitaly the example.
> [...]

You're referring to the community wiki, not documentation. Feel free to
update
it yourself.

The documentation is here: http://nginx.org/en/docs/

 wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev

--
http://nginx.com/support.html
http://nginx.org/en/donation.html
A8108a0961c6087c43cda32c8616dcba?d=identicon&s=25 Maxim Dounin (Guest)
on 2012-10-18 14:34
(Received via mailing list)
Hello!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 04:07:50PM +0400, Valentin V. Bartenev wrote:

> On Thursday 18 October 2012 15:24:14 kustodian wrote:
> > I would recommend that the documentation for location matching is updated
> > http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule#location, explicitaly the example.
> > [...]
>
> You're referring to the community wiki, not documentation. Feel free to update
> it yourself.
>
> The documentation is here: http://nginx.org/en/docs/

This wiki article was originated as a translation of official
documentation in Russian (which is now available in English, too,
see http://nginx.org/r/location), and I always asked people to
don't deviate from official docs but keep it as a translation,
keeping comments/suggestions/additional notes separate from an
article.

And I actually think that suggested change will be good for
understanding, and it would be good to add it to official
documentation.

Ruslan?

--
Maxim Dounin
http://nginx.com/support.html
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 kustodian (Guest)
on 2012-10-28 22:49
(Received via mailing list)
Sorry for a late reply and thanks for your help. I did update the wiki
documentaion http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule#location, I hope it is
ok
and that location matching will now be clearer to new Nginx users.

Posted at Nginx Forum:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,231966,232286#msg-232286
A8108a0961c6087c43cda32c8616dcba?d=identicon&s=25 Maxim Dounin (Guest)
on 2012-10-29 09:27
(Received via mailing list)
Hello!

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 05:48:30PM -0400, kustodian wrote:

> Sorry for a late reply and thanks for your help. I did update the wiki
> documentaion http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule#location, I hope it is ok
> and that location matching will now be clearer to new Nginx users.

Ruslan already updated official docs according to your suggestion,
BTW:

http://nginx.org/r/location

--
Maxim Dounin
http://nginx.com/support.html
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 kustodian (Guest)
on 2012-10-29 11:04
(Received via mailing list)
Maxim Dounin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ruslan already updated official docs according to your suggestion,
> nginx@nginx.org
> http://mailman.nginx.org/mailman/listinfo/nginx


Then I will update the documentation wiki to be exactly like the
official
docs.

Posted at Nginx Forum:
http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,231966,232311#msg-232311
Please log in before posting. Registration is free and takes only a minute.
Existing account

NEW: Do you have a Google/GoogleMail, Yahoo or Facebook account? No registration required!
Log in with Google account | Log in with Yahoo account | Log in with Facebook account
No account? Register here.