Forum: GNU Radio Blocks missing from GRC after pre-cog installation

Ccc164ece57f7a9402202a233236ffb4?d=identicon&s=25 Sakib Chowdhury (Guest)

I installed pre-cog following the last section of
https://github.com/buoyboy/pre-cog/wiki/Installation only. I already had
working GNUradio with grextras installed, which I did by simply running
the
installation script http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio . Now
strangely I see that many blocks from GRC are missing, though new blocks
from pre-cog are there. I don't see blocks such as throttle. Can anyone
suggest how to fix this? I am not super expert on linux, by the way,
just
learning as required.

More information:
OS: Ubuntu 12.04
Installation dirs: ~/Downloads/gnuradio,  ~/Downloads/grextras,
 ~/Downloads/pre-cog  and other folders similarly such as 'uhd',
'gr-baz'
etc.

Thanks.
4252201ac30d6dd44d8090ce1070e35f?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Blum (Guest)
On 10/17/2012 01:13 PM, Sakib Chowdhury wrote:

> More information:
> OS: Ubuntu 12.04
> Installation dirs: ~/Downloads/gnuradio,  ~/Downloads/grextras,
>  ~/Downloads/pre-cog  and other folders similarly such as 'uhd', 'gr-baz'
> etc.

I saw this too. I thought it had something to do with the gr-blocks work
that was merged into master. Not sure. What I did to fix it was:

1) remove /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks
2) reinstall gnuradio, extras, precog
3) then it was all there again in my GRC window

-josh
Ccc164ece57f7a9402202a233236ffb4?d=identicon&s=25 Sakib Chowdhury (Guest)
Hi Josh,

I noticed that actually all block files (xml) are still there
in /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks/ . What GRC is not displaying
are
the blocks whose names start with gr_*.xml . I'll try to reinstall.

Thanks.
D3e3c5e41e9aed486856802be823e181?d=identicon&s=25 Johnathan Corgan (Guest)
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Sakib Chowdhury
<sakib.others@gmail.com>wrote:

> I noticed that actually all block files (xml) are still there
> in /usr/local/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks/ . What GRC is not displaying are
> the blocks whose names start with gr_*.xml . I'll try to reinstall.

This was a recently fixed bug on GNU Radio master branch, related to the
gr-blocks work Josh mentioned.

Johnathan
Ccc164ece57f7a9402202a233236ffb4?d=identicon&s=25 Sakib Chowdhury (Guest)

Unfortunately reinstalling didn't solve the problem. I tried twice
already.
What I did is first I removed all relevant gnuradio and uhd files and
folders from /usr/* folders and installed gnuradio, uhd, grextras using
the
script linked on gnuradio.org website:
http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio . I opened GRC and found some
newer blocks (obviously because of some updates to the source) along
with
my previously missing blocks. So, everything is fine. Then I installed
pre-cog using the set of commands at the end of the page:
https://github.com/buoyboy/pre-cog/wiki/Installation . After that I
opened
GRC and blocks that start with gr_*.xml are gone.

Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong with the installation.
Isn't pre-cog supposed to be installed in this way? Or if pre-cog is
required, I have to install gnuradio in some other way apart from using
that script?

Thanks.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Johnathan Corgan
On 10/18/2012 11:07 AM, Sakib Chowdhury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately reinstalling didn't solve the problem. I tried twice already.
> What I did is first I removed all relevant gnuradio and uhd files and
> folders from /usr/* folders and installed gnuradio, uhd, grextras using the
> script linked on gnuradio.org website:

Would you perhaps have multiple installs of gnuradio both in /usr and
/usr/local? That could be one issue

Also, while its ok to put gnuradio in /usr and grextras and pre-cog into
/usr/local. You will need to set the GRC_BLOCKS_PATH environment
variable to have entries for both block paths. The paths would be
your_install_prefix/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks

-josh
Ccc164ece57f7a9402202a233236ffb4?d=identicon&s=25 Sakib Chowdhury (Guest)

I cannot figure out the source of the problem. I don't have multiple
installations of gnuradio. While I'm installing gnuradio and grextras
(either by the installation script from gnuradio.org website or by
manually), I run git clone commands in ~/Downloads directory. Thus I
have
gnuradio and grextras folders in ~/Downloads folder. So, in the usual
way I
proceed to install, and they are properly installed in /usr/local/ . I
run
GRC and get all the blocks. I attached the screenshot. Then I run git
clone
command for pre-cog in ~/Downloads folder, so I have a pre-cog folder in
~/Downloads. I then proceed to install it in usual manner (mkdir build,
cmake, make etc.) and it is properly installed. Then if I run GRC,
blocks
are missing, those that start with gr_*.xml. I have attached the
screenshot
too.

Is there any other specific installation instructions?

Thanks.
D7c45fe2b9d1bc4156cebeb19a3a2b63?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Blum (Guest)
Oh noes, it looks like the pre-cog is overwriting the gnuradio-cores'
block_tree.xml. This should probably be renamed to
pre_cog_block_tree.xml

-josh
On 10/22/2012 06:38 PM, Josh Blum wrote:
> Oh noes, it looks like the pre-cog is overwriting the gnuradio-cores'
> block_tree.xml. This should probably be renamed to pre_cog_block_tree.xml

FYI, A fix was pushed for this issue. I hope it works now!

-josh
Ccc164ece57f7a9402202a233236ffb4?d=identicon&s=25 Sakib Chowdhury (Guest)
Thanks Josh. But after getting the hint from you about block_tree.xml I
renamed that (and all instances of it) in the installation scripts of
pre-cog to pre-cog_block_tree.xml before I installed pre-cog again. It
worked nicely that way.
Existing account

No account? Register here.