Forum: Ruby on Rails Email with out SMTP Settings is it possible

B979fe61bc2fb30d4f88b6a9da418d97?d=identicon&s=25 honey jadala (honeyruby)
Hi all can we send mails with out using SMTP settings. i want to send
mails
with out smtp is it possible?

Thanks in advance
66e52919f143c02bb0b3df613f3a4553?d=identicon&s=25 KUL KING (Guest)
No it is not possible.
916a6c67f3d61d3bc9b2273646e53a0b?d=identicon&s=25 Fabian Becker (Guest)
66e52919f143c02bb0b3df613f3a4553?d=identicon&s=25 KUL KING (Guest)
Doesn't SendMail use SMTP?
A47e0a6beeb9d048ff054fc1c3a97418?d=identicon&s=25 Walter Davis (walterdavis)
On Sep 24, 2012, at 9:14 AM, KUL KING wrote:

> Doesn't SendMail use SMTP?

Technically, all outgoing mail is handled by SMTP. That's just the mail
sending protocol. The issue here is whether that SMTP server is
localhost (sendmail or another drop-in replacement for that service,
running on the same machine as Rails) or remote (Gmail or somebody's
Exchange server or just sendmail configured as a relay on another
machine). Rails lets you configure this in any number of different ways.
Read the Rails Guide for ActionMailer for more juicy details.

Walter
66e52919f143c02bb0b3df613f3a4553?d=identicon&s=25 KUL KING (Guest)
So I was right that we have to use SMTP to send email. Whether it is
from
localhost or gmail. Am I right?
On Sep 24, 2012, at 9:51 AM, KUL KING wrote:

> So I was right that we have to use SMTP to send email. Whether it is from
localhost or gmail. Am I right?

Yes, that acronym stands for Simple Mail Transport Protocol. It's one of
the oldest protocols on the Internet -- precedes the Web by tens of
years, IIRC. It's how all outgoing mail is sent from one server to
another. You may pick up your mail through different protocols (POP3,
IMAP) but you always send by SMTP.

Rails documentation and API separate sendmail from smtp -- there's a
separate :sendmail_settings and :smtp_settings, but you need to
understand that they are not mutually exclusive. All outgoing mail is
sent through SMTP (the protocol) and the settings in :smtp_settings may
specify that sendmail is to be used as the outgoing mail server, in
which case you can fine-tune that interface with the :sendmail_settings
parameters.

Walter
59a8fd87fff5e6dd381f1d48de944b82?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Slattery (Guest)
KUL KING <kulking370@gmail.com> wrote:

>So I was right that we have to use SMTP to send email. Whether it is from
>localhost or gmail. Am I right?

SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. That's the language you use to
talk to another computer to send mail. Usually, you talk to a server
whose job is to take mail from you and send it on to its destination.
If it can't contact the destination machine the first time it tries,
it will wait a while and try again. It won't give up until a few
iterations of this.

You can bypass that and have your program directly contact the
destination machine. In that case, you have to parse the address to
get the domain name, look up the MX record in the DNS for that domain
(not the normal A record), then establish contact with the remote
machine, etc. Using an SMTP relay server is much simpler.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T@bls.gov

No account? Register here.