Forum: Ruby on Rails Good books about the internals of Rails 3

9916f9888f1b18bfe53f99ffde113a39?d=identicon&s=25 Geoffrey Hug (geoffhug)
on 2012-09-20 22:16
Hi, I'm a new RoR and Ruby developer and I'm searching for some good
resources (books or website) that go a little further than books like
the railstutorial (which is excellent btw).

But after reading this, I feel like as long as I'm working with
scaffolding and simple gems, it's ok, and a lot can be accomplished with
this but I would like to have a deeper understanding of Rails behavior
and not being lost in the magic.
3c1113e681c967518daa555a46956af3?d=identicon&s=25 Everaldo Gomes (Guest)
Ddb3408f7a645f5edb0bfb4581f75ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Fernando Almeida (Guest)
Metaprogramming
Ruby<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934356476/ref=as...

2012/9/20 Everaldo Gomes <everaldo.gomes@gmail.com>

>  --

Fernando Almeida
www.fernandoalmeida.net
Ba17945a06aac247b06548d5afe341e8?d=identicon&s=25 "Maciej Rząsa" <maciejrzasa@gmail.com> (Guest)
Do you think it's still reasonable to buy those books, knowing that RoR4
will be released soon? I'm especially interested in Crafting Rails
Applications, but I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete in
couple of months.

El jueves, 20 de septiembre de 2012 23:32:11 UTC+2, Fernando Almeida
escribi:
1a4ff0766a653c62e0dab34bacda9873?d=identicon&s=25 Norbert Melzer (Guest)
2013/1/10 Maciej Rząsa <maciejrzasa@gmail.com>
Ba17945a06aac247b06548d5afe341e8?d=identicon&s=25 "Maciej Rząsa" <maciejrzasa@gmail.com> (Guest)
@Norbert Thanks for the constructive answer! I'm glad you noticed that
there is no difference between using two-year-old PC and
two-year-outdated
web framework!

More seriously: changes between RoR2 and RoR3 were quite significant, so
buying a book about RoR2 internals to use it with Rails3 was rather a
bad
idea. I'm trying to learn if it's the same in this case.

2013/1/10 Norbert Melzer <timmelzer@gmail.com>
19fad8b2f5f9948322c3fe0441265298?d=identicon&s=25 Jim ruther Nill (jimboker)
On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Maciej Rząsa
<maciejrzasa@gmail.com>wrote:

> @Norbert Thanks for the constructive answer! I'm glad you noticed that
> there is no difference between using two-year-old PC and two-year-outdated
> web framework!
>
> More seriously: changes between RoR2 and RoR3 were quite significant, so
> buying a book about RoR2 internals to use it with Rails3 was rather a bad
> idea. I'm trying to learn if it's the same in this case.

I suggest you weigh at the pros and cons.  If you can wait for a couple
of
months for the release of rails 4
and another or 2 for a good book, then I'd say wait.  But in those
months,
you could've already acquired a
good deal of knowledge when you buy a rails 3 book.  There are some new
stuff going out in rails 4 like
turbolinks, doll caching and strong parameters, all of which are kind of
an
upgrade to the version that rails
3 is using so you might want to look at how those work at the moment
while
waiting for rails 4.

>>> will be released soon? I'm especially interested in Crafting Rails
>> rubyonrails-talk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Existing account

No account? Register here.