Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails 3 - Email feature without smtp

A2a007b60856e56aa497faa11f8116d6?d=identicon&s=25 ideal one (shekarls)
on 2012-08-23 20:12
Hi All,
           I am new to Rails &  I had the rails 3 setup on my windows
box for running a small application which used to send emails on
completion of certain tasks.
Snippet of code for sending mails, worked using the below method.
<Code>
outlook = WIN32OLE.new('Outlook.Application')
  message = outlook.CreateItem(0)
  message.Subject = t2_subject
  message.HTMLBody = t2_body
<Code>

Now I moved to Ubuntu for setting up ROR 3, and i cannot use the above
method to send mails from my linux box.

I know mostly people use ActionMailer for sending mails in ROR.
I had the following requirements, and anyone of you can shed some light
on these:
(i) I wanted to setup a send email method for ROR on linux box, without
having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from
application.
(ii) If it can take a dummy 'FROM' email ID to deliver emails to all
recipients, that works for me.

Thanks
A33d5d269edd153e33826538060d1a22?d=identicon&s=25 selva4210@gmail.com (Guest)
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM, ideal one <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

> I know mostly people use ActionMailer for sending mails in ROR.
> I had the following requirements, and anyone of you can shed some light
> on these:
> (i) I wanted to setup a send email method for ROR on linux box, without
> having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from
> application.

The below episode gives a good intro about using action mailer
with your personal email.
http://asciicasts.com/episodes/206-action-mailer-in-rails-3

> (ii) If it can take a dummy 'FROM' email ID to deliver emails to all
> recipients, that works for me.

Not recommended for production.

--
Azhagu Selvan

http://tamizhgeek.in
On Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:12:40 PM UTC+1, Ruby-Forum.com User
wrote:
> having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from
> application.

There are a number of services (sendgrid, postage app, postmark app
etc.)
that expose either smtp or http apis for sending email. They take care
of
actually running email servers in both cases.