Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails 3 - Email feature without smtp

A2a007b60856e56aa497faa11f8116d6?d=identicon&s=25 ideal one (shekarls)
on 2012-08-23 20:12
Hi All,
           I am new to Rails &  I had the rails 3 setup on my windows
box for running a small application which used to send emails on
completion of certain tasks.
Snippet of code for sending mails, worked using the below method.
<Code>
outlook = WIN32OLE.new('Outlook.Application')
  message = outlook.CreateItem(0)
  message.Subject = t2_subject
  message.HTMLBody = t2_body
<Code>

Now I moved to Ubuntu for setting up ROR 3, and i cannot use the above
method to send mails from my linux box.

I know mostly people use ActionMailer for sending mails in ROR.
I had the following requirements, and anyone of you can shed some light
on these:
(i) I wanted to setup a send email method for ROR on linux box, without
having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from
application.
(ii) If it can take a dummy 'FROM' email ID to deliver emails to all
recipients, that works for me.

Thanks
A33d5d269edd153e33826538060d1a22?d=identicon&s=25 selva4210@gmail.com (Guest)
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM, ideal one <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

> I know mostly people use ActionMailer for sending mails in ROR.
> I had the following requirements, and anyone of you can shed some light
> on these:
> (i) I wanted to setup a send email method for ROR on linux box, without
> having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from
> application.

The below episode gives a good intro about using action mailer
with your personal email.
http://asciicasts.com/episodes/206-action-mailer-in-rails-3

> (ii) If it can take a dummy 'FROM' email ID to deliver emails to all
> recipients, that works for me.

Not recommended for production.

--
Azhagu Selvan

http://tamizhgeek.in
On Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:12:40 PM UTC+1, Ruby-Forum.com User
wrote:
> having me setup SMTP server, or using my personal ID to send mails from
> application.

There are a number of services (sendgrid, postage app, postmark app
etc.)
that expose either smtp or http apis for sending email. They take care
of
actually running email servers in both cases.
Existing account

No account? Register here.