Forum: Ruby on Rails How to connect to existing database

04ee61ffa169eea4fe98749292245752?d=identicon&s=25 Dwayne Brown (lluvian)
Hello all,

I am new to ruby on rails and love it so far.  How can I connect to an
existing database?  There is a SQLite database that we use for another
application developed in RoR.  I am new to RoR and want to connect my
basic
application to pull data from it.  I do have permissions to connect to
the
database and it is in our testing environment.  I know how to connect to
it
using Visual Studio and RoR is a little foreign to me but fun. I could
not
find any documentation online and if anyone can point me in the right
direction I would greatly appreciate it.
On 13 July 2012 20:45, StrName <softswan0101@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am new to ruby on rails and love it so far.  How can I connect to an
> existing database?  There is a SQLite database that we use for another
> application developed in RoR.  I am new to RoR and want to connect my basic
> application to pull data from it.  I do have permissions to connect to the
> database and it is in our testing environment.  I know how to connect to it
> using Visual Studio and RoR is a little foreign to me but fun. I could not
> find any documentation online and if anyone can point me in the right
> direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Is that Dwayne?  If so then why are you asking the question again?  If
not then, assuming that the database is not one produced by RoR then
google for
rails legacy database
to get started.  I warn, however, that connecting to an existing
non-rails format db can be problematic and is not the sort of task
that a newcomer to rails will find easy.

Colin
Existing account

No account? Register here.