https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6721

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
E8a419959139f3f505b49bb95f7e7afe?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Ballanco (jballanc)
Issue #6721 has been updated by jballanc (Joshua Ballanco).

How is this significantly different than Object#tap?
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C4e88907313843cf07f6d85ba8162120?d=identicon&s=25 alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

=begin
jballanc (Joshua Ballanco) wrote:
> How is this significantly different than Object#tap?

It executes the block and returns its output.  For example:

 puts "2*2 = #{ 2.yield_self { |x| x*x } }"
=end

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C4e88907313843cf07f6d85ba8162120?d=identicon&s=25 alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

=begin
I've come up with some use case for illustration.  I have also looked
into the Ruby on Rails (({Object#try})) method because it can serve a
similar purpose.  I think (({yield_self})) is more basic than (({try})).

Here are two examples of a use case:

 attr = object.associated_object.yield_self { |o| o.nil? ? nil :
o.attribute }

 mailing_address = { :name   => person[:name],
                     :street => person[:address].yield_self { |a|
a.is_a?(Hash) ? a[:street] : nil }
                   }

Here is for comparison the implementation of (({Object#try})) in Ruby on
Rails:

 def try(*a, &b)
   if a.empty? && block_given?
     yield self
   else
     __send__(*a, &b)
=end

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
F1d6cc2b735bfd82c8773172da2aeab9?d=identicon&s=25 Nobuyoshi Nakada (nobu)

I'm not against the feature itself, but don't like the name.
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> I'm not against the feature itself, but don't like the name.

#yield_to, #submit_to, #surrender, #capitulate ? :)

Or otherwise, #apply:

2.apply { |x| x*x }  # => 4
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
58479f76374a3ba3c69b9804163f39f4?d=identicon&s=25 drbrain (Eric Hodel) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by drbrain (Eric Hodel).

Your current names are less clear than using a local variable.  Using a
local variable reveals your intentions very clearly:

  o = object.associated_object
  attr = o.attribute if o

It's obvious that attr is only set if the associated object exists.

For your second example there's just too much going on to clearly see
what the intention is.  By first separating data gathering from creating
of the mailing_address Hash things become much clearer:

  address = person[:address]
  street = address[:street] if address.is_a?(Hash)

  mailing_address = {
    :name   => person[:name],
    :street => street,
  }

As in the first example, your current names don't reveal what yield_self
is supposed to do in a way that's clearer than using local variables for
construction of mailing_address
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)

drbrain (Eric Hodel) wrote:
> Your current names are less clear than using a local variable.  Using a local
variable reveals your intentions very clearly:

Well, using method chains with blocks is always less clear than using
local variables.
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Sawyer (7rans)

This is basically #ergo in Ruby Facets. Essentially:

  def ergo
    return yield(self) if block_given?
    self

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C4e88907313843cf07f6d85ba8162120?d=identicon&s=25 yhara (Yutaka HARA) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by yhara (Yutaka HARA).

Category set to core
Target version set to next minor

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C4e88907313843cf07f6d85ba8162120?d=identicon&s=25 alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

=begin
After commenting on #6284, i have a new proposition for this method's
name: (({Object#^})).  Also, i suggest to allow it to take a block, a
proc, a lambda, or a symbol.  I think this will not conflict with
existing uses of #^, however the classes that implement it for certain
argument types should not forget to call (({super})) if the argument
type is not recognized by them.

For example:

  # Formatting a string:
  format_as_title = lambda { |str| "Title: #{ str.strip.capitalize }" }
  title = " something to be a title " ^ format_as_title     # instead of
`format_as_title.call(" something to be a title  ")`

  # Squareing the 2:
  four = 2 ^ { |x| x*x }                                    # instead of
`four = 2**2`

  # Converting a string to an integer:
  five = "5" ^ :to_i                                        # instead of
`five = "5".to_i`

This is consistent with a rare mathematical notation for function
application: sometimes instead of  "f(x)",  the "exponential" notation
"x^f" is used.

This would also open a door to compose lambdas from left to right, if
the majority decides so (this is being discussed in #6284)
=end

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
Df9d48b6e2ae6cdedf4c39c2e58df851?d=identicon&s=25 boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky).

#ergo is a well-thought method name, I like it better than all others.
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
F1d37642fdaa1662ff46e4c65731e9ab?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Nutter (headius)

It occurs to me #apply is used in some other languages to refer to the
elements of a collection rather than to the collection itself.

[1,2,3].apply {|n| puts n}

Did we ever decide if the #self method would be added? If it were, it
would be simple to have it take a block:

four = 2.self {|n| n * n}

That would make #self basically be #ergo as defined by Facets.

Worth noting that you can get nearly as concise syntax today, albeit in
reverse order:

four = ->{|n| n * n}.(2)
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C4e88907313843cf07f6d85ba8162120?d=identicon&s=25 alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

=begin
Here is a "real life" use case.  It again has to do with formatting
strings.

I want to have a list of conference participants in the form:
 Full Name (Affiliation, academic position)
but without empty parentheses or trailing comma if the person has not
profided the affiliation or the position.  So i did like this:

  class Participant
    def full_name_with_affiliation_and_position
      full_name +
        lambda { |a_ap| a_ap.empty? ? '' : " (#{ a_ap })"
}[[affiliation, academic_position].compact.join(', ')]

(I will appreciate any more elegant solution.)

With (({#yield_self})) (or any other name for it), i would have written:

  class Participant
    def full_name_with_affiliation_and_position
      full_name +
        [affiliation, academic_position].compact.join(', ')].yield_self
{ |a_ap| a_ap.empty? ? '' : " (#{ a_ap })" }

This would be a bit more readable for me.
=end

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
3be79c5e7acf4f3a86d7870f0c3991b5?d=identicon&s=25 Alex aka Sinm (Guest)
Why you can't simply do the following?

def full_name_with_affiliation_and_position
  a_ap = " (#{a_ap})" unless (a_ap = [affiliation,
academic_position].compact.join ', ').empty?
  "#{full_name}#{a_ap}"

Anonymous wrote:
> Why you can't simply do the following?
>
>  def full_name_with_affiliation_and_position
>    a_ap = " (#{a_ap})" unless (a_ap = [affiliation,
academic_position].compact.join ', ').empty?
>    "#{full_name}#{a_ap}"
>

>  end

I can, but i guess i want it to look more like declarative programming,
than like imperative.
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C4e88907313843cf07f6d85ba8162120?d=identicon&s=25 ko1 (Koichi Sasada) (Guest)

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C60882acea83d787b9b563d77c9458a4?d=identicon&s=25 aleph1 (Elias Levy) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by aleph1 (Elias Levy).

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> I'm not against the feature itself, but don't like the name.

At its core this feature relates to method chaining and transforming the
object, something that cannot be done with Object#tap.

Some suggested names then:  transform, alter, mutate, map, morph.

map may be the best choice, as its already used in enumerables and this
is a natural equivalent for single objects.  That said, it may lead to
unnoticed bugs if someone thinks they are applying a map operation on an
enumerable but for some reason they do so against some other object.  So
maybe one of the other names is better to ensure such cases fail.

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)

(13/05/17 17:01), aleph1 (Elias Levy) wrote:
> map may be the best choice, as its already used in enumerables and this is a
natural equivalent for single objects.  That said, it may lead to unnoticed bugs
if someone thinks they are applying a map operation on an enumerable but for
some
reason they do so against some other object.  So maybe one of the other names is
better to ensure such cases fail.

If it were Kernel#map, which would you expect by `{foo: 42}.map {...}` ?

aleph1 (Elias Levy) wrote:
> nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> > I'm not against the feature itself, but don't like the name.
>
> At its core this feature relates to method chaining and transforming the object,
something that cannot be done with Object#tap.

I do not agree: it simply yield self to a proc.  It is more like a
counterpart to `public_send`.  I will try to see if Haskel has it, and
what's the name, or i will think if it corresponds well to some
mathematical operation.
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
Df9d48b6e2ae6cdedf4c39c2e58df851?d=identicon&s=25 boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky).

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> I'm not against the feature itself, but don't like the name.
+1 to this opinion
Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C4e88907313843cf07f6d85ba8162120?d=identicon&s=25 alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

=begin
It seems that Haskell does not have it:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4090168/is-ther...

I have found that in the context of Church numerals in lambda calculus,
the expression (({λm.λn.nm})) is called (({exp})):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_encoding#Compu...
.
One more reason to use the (({^})) operator as i have suggested :).

This operation also would roughly correspond to (({apply})) in Scheme
with reverse order of arguments.  If i understand correctly, the
(({apply})) in Scheme roughly correspond to (({call})) in Ruby, so maybe
(({reverse_call}))?
=end

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
C4e88907313843cf07f6d85ba8162120?d=identicon&s=25 alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov) (Guest)
Issue #6721 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

=begin
Another idea for the name: (({Object#cast})), by analogy with
typecasting or cast iron.  Iron (an object) is poured into a mold (a
proc or a block).

  class Object
    def cast(*args, &block)
      if block.nil?
        p = args.shift
        if p.is_a?(Proc)
          p[self, *args]
        else
          raise 'The first argument of Object#cast should be a Proc,
unless a block form is used.'
        end
      else
        if args.empty?
          block[self]
        else
          raise 'Object#cast does not accept arguments together with a
block.'

  2.cast {|x| x**3 } # => 8
  p = proc {|x, y| x**y }
  2.cast(p, 4) # => 16
=end

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self

Author: alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
I think the following method is missing from Ruby:

 class Object
   def yield_self(*args)
     yield(self, *args)

I do not know a good use case, but it looks very natural to me.  It can
be used in method chains.

What do you think?  Is there an alternative?
=end
09a32175057418748822c587ac08c429?d=identicon&s=25 Abinoam Jr. (abinoampraxedes_m)
Issue #6721 has been updated by abinoam (Abinoam P. Marques Jr.).

=begin
May I give a name suggestion?
Does "tap!" make sense in english?

The exclamation mark alerts that the return value is being changed.

=end

Feature #6721: Object#yield_self