Forum: Ruby on Rails Foreign Keys in ActiveRecord

5392a307d3b5a4173728694822211655?d=identicon&s=25 Felipe Teixeira (Guest)
Hello there,

I'm a beginner in Rails, so forgive me if this question is too dumb ;p
Does Rails provide any helper/linecode to create a foreign key in the
database (via migration)?

When I use, for example, *belogs_to :class, :foreign_key => id_class*,
I'm
just setting the name
of the foreign key.

In the same way, when I use *t.reference :class *in the migration*, *I'm
just creating an column *class_id *
with the appropriate class in the database... but I don't properly
create
the foreign key in database-level,
right?

So, is there a nice way to do that in Rails? I already saw some
solutions
in the web, but I couldn't find
any convention. Which would be the best way to do that?

Thanks in advance (:

P.S: sorry if the English is not good ;p
On Jul 6, 9:30pm, Felipe Teixeira <felipee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I'm a beginner in Rails, so forgive me if this question is too dumb ;p
> Does Rails provide any helper/linecode to create a foreign key in the
> database (via migration)?

No - the official position has never been in favour of database level
constraints.
The foreigner gems adds migration helpers for adding foreign keys

Fred
Existing account

No account? Register here.