Forum: Ruby on Rails how to use model withour database

C454b8d512cb31c944a47f5a4e1b1dc7?d=identicon&s=25 aldm alert (aldm)

I'm new to ruby on rails and I have little problem. I need to make
application that creates list of items on startup. So model shouldnt
have database.

1. Is the best choice to use standard class as model, for example
item.rb in models folder?

2. What's the best way to create collection of model on controller
startup?
Is it creating array of model classes in initialize() method of
controller?

3. My app should have search functionality based on items name. Is the
best way to simply search array in for loop and return searched items?

Is there any better and simplier approach than this I described?

Thanks in advance
91b3732802a60021792ce7bdd577e815?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Aceto (Guest)
On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Amer Zildzic <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

> startup?

Hi,

maybe this could help you

http://railscasts.com/episodes/326-activeattr

http://railscasts.com/episodes/193-tableless-model

Best,

Martin
Aae6d4accf06084efc742f85d3806b33?d=identicon&s=25 Aleksey Zapparov (aleksey_z)
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:54:46 -0300
Martin Aceto <martin.aceto@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm new to ruby on rails and I have little problem. I need to make
> > application that creates list of items on startup. So model shouldnt
> > have database.
>
> maybe this could help you
>
> http://railscasts.com/episodes/326-activeattr
> http://railscasts.com/episodes/193-tableless-model

The table-less model railscast is kinda outdated and can lead into
something wrong I think :)) It's better to watch this one:

http://railscasts.com/episodes/219-active-model

Or read Yehuda's introduction:

http://yehudakatz.com/2010/01/10/activemodel-make-...

--
Sincerely yours,
Aleksey V. Zapparov A.K.A. ixti

*Origin: Happy Hacking!
C454b8d512cb31c944a47f5a4e1b1dc7?d=identicon&s=25 aldm alert (aldm)
on 2012-06-22 12:19
Thanks for the answers.

Can you tell me hwt's the best way to make collection of this model
classes
on app startup - is it initialize method of controller and what's the
best way to search that collection - make serch action in controller ?
Existing account

No account? Register here.