Forum: GNU Radio Multimode.py and osmsdr module

389ad6d3564ada178e6267608fca5df9?d=identicon&s=25 Phil (Guest)
Another question I'm afraid,

I've resolved, I think, my previous question about the module path. The
module rtlsdr does not exist on my system even though I have the rtlsdr
library installed. So, I presume that the module has to be created
somehow.

Moving on, I'm trying to get multimode.py going and again I've run up
against a missing module. This time it's osmosdr and again I have
osmosdr installed but not the module osmssdr.py.

So my question is, how do I create the module osmosdr so that I can
continue my way through multimode.py?

--
Regards,
Phil
> So my question is, how do I create the module osmosdr so that I can continue
> my way through multimode.py?

You have to install gr-osmosdr to get proper RTL-SDR support in GNU
Radio.
Osmosdr is for the Osmo SDR hardware, gr-osmosdr is the wrapper into GNU
Radio:
http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/gr-osmosdr/

I'm wondering why you want to work in python instead of
gnuradio-companion?

Alex
On 07/06/12 19:13, Alexandru Csete wrote:

>> So my question is, how do I create the module osmosdr so that I can continue
>> my way through multimode.py?
>
> You have to install gr-osmosdr to get proper RTL-SDR support in GNU Radio.
> Osmosdr is for the Osmo SDR hardware, gr-osmosdr is the wrapper into GNU Radio:
> http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/gr-osmosdr/

Thanks for your reply Alex,

I have both rtlsdr and osmsdr installed. The applications that I'm
trying to get going both need either rtlsdr and or osmosdr python
modules which aren't on my system. So I guessed that I have to build the
modules, somehow.

> I'm wondering why you want to work in python instead of gnuradio-companion?

I have gnuradio-companion installed but that looks even more
unfathomable than trying to get a python application going.

Do you have a suggestion on how I might get something going using
gnuradio-companion?

--
Regards,
Phil

I got it recently  running with the gnuradio 3.6 and a Noxon DAB stick.
I had to change the usb ID in  librtlsdr.c  line 205
//{ 0x0ccd, 0x00b3, "Terratec NOXON DAB/DAB+ USB dongle (rev 1)" },
{ 0x0ccd, 0x00c6, "Terratec NOXON DAB/DAB+ USB dongle (rev 1)" },
you cn get it with lsusb and check if yours is in the source.

Did you run ldconfig after installing, which is responsable for updating
the pathes to the modules I think.

Best fredi
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Phil <phil_lor@bigpond.com> wrote:

>> Radio:
>> http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/gr-osmosdr/
>>

> Thanks for your reply Alex,
>
> I have both rtlsdr and osmsdr installed. The applications that I'm trying to
> get going both need either rtlsdr and or osmosdr python modules which aren't
> on my system. So I guessed that I have to build the modules, somehow.

What exactly do you mean by "osmosdr" ?

There is a package called osmo-sdr which is for the Osmo SDR hardware.
You do not need that if you want to use RTL2832U-based dongles.

Then there is gr-osmosdr (note the gr- prefix), which provides access
to RTL2832U-based dongles in GNU Radio.
If you install this you will have both C++ library, python module and
gnuradio-companion block (assuming that you have them in your
PYTHONPATH etc).
On my system it is installed in
/opt/gr-osmosdr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ because I used prefix
/opt/gr-osmosdr during compilation (default prefix is usually
/usr/local)

So, which one have you installed, osmo-sdr or gr-osmosdr?

>> I'm wondering why you want to work in python instead of
>> gnuradio-companion?
>
> I have gnuradio-companion installed but that looks even more unfathomable
> than trying to get a python application going.
>
> Do you have a suggestion on how I might get something going using
> gnuradio-companion?

As far as I could see, the python application you referred to was
generated from a gnuradio-companion file called multimode.grc:
https://www.cgran.org/browser/projects/multimode/trunk/
so you can just open up that file in gnuradio-companion.

Alex
On 07/06/12 20:15, Alexandru Csete wrote:
> gnuradio-companion block (assuming that you have them in your
> PYTHONPATH etc).
> On my system it is installed in
> /opt/gr-osmosdr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ because I used prefix
> /opt/gr-osmosdr during compilation (default prefix is usually
> /usr/local)
>
> So, which one have you installed, osmo-sdr or gr-osmosdr?

Thanks again Alex and Fredie,

I thought I had both osmo-sdr and gr-osmosdr installed but I only have
gr-osmosdr which is what I need anyway.

> generated from a gnuradio-companion file called multimode.grc:
> https://www.cgran.org/browser/projects/multimode/trunk/
> so you can just open up that file in gnuradio-companion.

So, the grc suffix now makes sense. I'll have another play and see how I
go.

All I'm looking for at the moment is a simple wideband FM receiver that
will work with my ezcap USB dongle.

--
Regards,
Phil

> So my question is, how do I create the module osmosdr so that I can
> continue my way through multimode.py?

If you're on Ubuntu or Fedora, just use:

http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio

It will take care of installing everything you need to get multimode
working.

Then, just get the latest multimode:

svn co https://www.cgran.org/svn/projects/multimode

And then look at the README for multimode

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium

No account? Register here.