Forum: Ruby on Rails Serialized attribute saved as HashWithIndifferentAccess in database

De52481f089fd3ba8d82cf8ef2329476?d=identicon&s=25 Espen Antonsen (Guest)
My Booking model has: serialize :custom_data, Hash

From the console it works as expected saving values to the custom_data
attribute.

But when having a form with parameters like
this: booking[custom_data][hello] and creating a new object in the
controller like this: Booking.new( params[:booking] ), values are saved
in
the database with added metadata like this: ---
!ruby/hash:ActiveSupport::HashWithIndifferentAccess

How can get rid of the HashWithIndifferentAccess-metadata when saving
from
a form?
557321e6903cf5ec6a9b4f22e1ef3ad2?d=identicon&s=25 Murali Tirupati (sumudhar)

You can check condition like this

 if params[:booking].kind_of? HashWithIndifferentAccess
  // logic here
end

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Espen Antonsen <espen@inspired.no>

> For more options, visit this group at

Thanks & Regards,
MuraliDharaRao.T
+91-9642234646
De52481f089fd3ba8d82cf8ef2329476?d=identicon&s=25 Espen Antonsen (Guest)
I fixed it by converting it to a hash:
@booking.custom_data = params[:booking][:custom_data].to_hash if
params[:booking][:custom_data]

I do think that Rails should handle this automatically though. There is
no
way to see this error by just using rails. You have to look at the
actual
data stored in the database to see that it stores more than just the
actual
data. I would suspect there are more people saving serialised attributes
from a form and will have this issue without realising it.
On Friday, 1 June 2012 09:15:18 UTC-4, Espen Antonsen wrote:

I don't follow that logic at all. If you're interacting with a
serialized
column by any other means than loading it from the DB as a Ruby object,
you
are DOING IT WRONG. If you really, really want to interact with hashes
in
the DB, check out things like Postgres's Hstore:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/hstore.html

--Matt Jones
Existing account

No account? Register here.