Forum: Inkscape Failed to convert a pdf file to an eps file via inkscape.

46175298662448457dcb2e8c08a95a9a?d=identicon&s=25 Hedong Yang (Guest)
Hi all,

I ran the Inkscape, opened the pdf file and then "save a copy" in the
eps format. As shown in the attached files, the coordinate information
is missed in the converted eps file.

The information about the my computer and Inkscape is listed as follows.
OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS amd64
Inkscape : 0.48.3.1 r9886 (Installed from the Canonical source)

While I tried on another machine with Inkscape 0.48.2 r9819, the
conversion is perfectly done as expected.

So have I missed something to be installed? Or is there a bug for the
newer version of Inkscape?

Suggestions are welcome!

Regards,
Hedong
May 23,2012
Aefd46e73e6b7449c5ce1ce0156797d2?d=identicon&s=25 ~suv (Guest)
On 23/05/2012 10:01, Hedong Yang wrote:

> I ran the Inkscape, opened the pdf file and then "save a copy" in the
> eps format. As shown in the attached files, the coordinate information
> is missed in the converted eps file.

AFAICT a known issue in cairo 1.10.x, tracked for Inkscape in

- Bug #813886 “Save as EPS or PS incomplete with cairo >= 1.10”
  <https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/813886>

In my tests the EPS file saves ok with cairo 1.8.10 and cairo 1.12.2,
but misses certain parts with cairo 1.10.2, independent of which
Inkscape version is used.

> The information about the my computer and Inkscape is listed as follows.
> OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS amd64
> Inkscape : 0.48.3.1 r9886 (Installed from the Canonical source)

Based on your provided EPS file, Inkscape was using cairo 1.10.2 to
export to EPS:
%%Creator: cairo 1.10.2 (http://cairographics.org)

> While I tried on another machine with Inkscape 0.48.2 r9819, the
> conversion is perfectly done as expected.

Which version of cairo was installed on that other system?

> So have I missed something to be installed? Or is there a bug for the
> newer version of Inkscape?

You didn't miss anything to be installed, nor is it a bug in newer
Inkscape versions. The problem is with cairo 1.10.x - independent of
which Inkscape version is used. Once linux distros have upgraded to the
current version of cairo (1.12.x), the problem will be gone.

hth, ~suv
Existing account

No account? Register here.