Forum: IronRuby IronRuby installer

D7aaf307f96bbdf5ff39be313fe581be?d=identicon&s=25 Orion Edwards (Guest)
I spent a bit more time trying to get the IronRuby installer to go, and
succeeded; resulting in the following pull request:

https://github.com/IronLanguages/main/pull/71

The main problem seemed to be that the IronRuby installer created 3
MSM's
(DLR, IrRedist and IronStudio) and then merged them all... This failed
because each MSM re-defined the NetFxScheduleNativeImage custom action,
and more than one MSM is not allowed to do that. I'm not sure how this
worked in the past... Did WIX get upgraded?
It looks like (from what I can tell) the IronPython installer has been
re-done into a (much much simpler) wixproj whereas the IronRuby
installer
is still building with MSM's (and is much more complicated than perhaps
it
should be).
Is this right?
If so, should someone embark upon a project to re-do the IronRuby
installer in a similar fashion to the IronPython one?

Thanks, Orion
Ad24799da38da64c3b51b745087d60fd?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Hardy (Guest)
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Orion Edwards
<Orion.Edwards@gallagher.co> wrote:
> It looks like (from what I can tell) the IronPython installer has been
> re-done into a (much much simpler) wixproj whereas the IronRuby installer is
> still building with MSM's (and is much more complicated than perhaps it
> should be).
>
> Is this right?

Yeah, I got tired of maintaing the IronPython installer so I rewrote
it from scratch. Merge modules are not recommended anymore, so I
dumped them. The only downside is it can cause some fighting between
IR and IP over which versions of the DLR assemblies are in the GAC.

> If so, should someone embark upon a project to re-do the IronRuby installer
> in a similar fashion to the IronPython one?

It shouldn't be too hard to copy the IronPython one and change a few
bits to work with IronRuby.

- Jeff