Forum: Inkscape editing .svg files

B6870612937d008cb0ef5566b9c70478?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I have some .svg files that I create with the tools at blockdiag.com (it
does a good job of turning progromatic data into a valid graphic), but
there are a lot of times when I would like to grab a chunk of the
resulting digram and move it around. The problem I have had trying to
use
Inkscape to do this is that I can select and grab a block, but the lines
stay put. I really want to grab the objects and the endpoints of the
lines
that are within the selection window and move the endpoints along with
the
objects.

Is there an easy way to do this that I have been overlooking?

David Lang
1725020ed58eea0c8e31f86ba702cb69?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Cruz (Guest)
On May 21, 2012, at 5:51 PM, david@lang.hm wrote:

> I have some .svg files that I create with the tools at blockdiag.com (it
> does a good job of turning progromatic data into a valid graphic), but
> there are a lot of times when I would like to grab a chunk of the
> resulting digram and move it around. The problem I have had trying to use
> Inkscape to do this is that I can select and grab a block, but the lines
> stay put. I really want to grab the objects and the endpoints of the lines
> that are within the selection window and move the endpoints along with the
> objects.
>
> Is there an easy way to do this that I have been overlooking?

I believe that the multipath editing in Inkscape 0.48 might be able to
do what you want.

Select a few objects, switch to the node tool, then drag a selection
around the nodes of the shapes you want to move about.
352dad7f68ab2a8af9b69f75997aee11?d=identicon&s=25 Lars Behrens (Guest)
david@lang.hm schrieb:
> I have some .svg files that I create with the tools at blockdiag.com (it
> does a good job of turning progromatic data into a valid graphic), but
> there are a lot of times when I would like to grab a chunk of the
> resulting digram and move it around. The problem I have had trying to use
> Inkscape to do this is that I can select and grab a block, but the lines
> stay put. I really want to grab the objects and the endpoints of the lines
> that are within the selection window and move the endpoints along with the
> objects.

I haven't really understood what you are trying to do, but depending on
how you open the files, all the objects will be grouped together: If you
import the svgs into an inkscape file, in order to process them with
something else than the path tool you first want to ungroup them.

Cheerz,
Lars
44690edb585f091e006395821ddd6991?d=identicon&s=25 Gianvittorio Zandona (Guest)
Hi Lars,
Maybe I did not understand your question. Sorry if that is the case.
Did you Ctrl+F2? Here is a quick tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0cnYSEg4V4
Good luck,
Gian

Gianvittorio Zandona schrieb:
> Hi Lars,
> Maybe I did not understand your question.

I didn't ask one :-)

Cheerz,
Lars
44690edb585f091e006395821ddd6991?d=identicon&s=25 Gianvittorio Zandona (Guest)
@ David,
Maybe I did not understand your question. Sorry if that is the case.
Did you try with Ctrl+F2? Here is a quick
tutorial  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0cnYSEg4V4

@ Lars,
I always confuse Lars and David ;-)

Good luck,
Gian

Op 22 mei 2012 om 02:51 uur schreef david@lang.hm:

I have some .svg files that I create with the tools at blockdiag.com (it
does a good job of turning progromatic data into a valid graphic), but
there are a lot of times when I would like to grab a chunk of the
resulting digram and move it around. The problem I have had trying to
use
Inkscape to do this is that I can select and grab a block, but the lines
stay put. I really want to grab the objects and the endpoints of the
lines
that are within the selection window and move the endpoints along with
the
objects.

Is there an easy way to do this that I have been overlooking?

David Lang
352dad7f68ab2a8af9b69f75997aee11?d=identicon&s=25 Lars Behrens (Guest)
Gianvittorio Zandona schrieb:

> @ Lars,
> I always confuse Lars and David ;-)

Hehe, easy to distinguish: Lars ends on 's' :-)

Have a good day,
Lars
B6870612937d008cb0ef5566b9c70478?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
attached is a sample .svg file.

what I am trying to do is to grab the two networks in the bottom right
and
slide them up to close the large blank space between them and the
network
above them.

If I select the networks and text and then try to move them, the line
segments do not move.

I don't see what ctrl+f2 is going to do with this.

David Lang
On Mon, 21 May 2012, Jon Cruz wrote:

>> Is there an easy way to do this that I have been overlooking?
>

> I believe that the multipath editing in Inkscape 0.48 might be able to do what
you want.

> Select a few objects, switch to the node tool, then drag a selection
> around the nodes of the shapes you want to move about.

I am not seeing how this helps me. I can select the node tool and
select objects, but then when I try to move them I end up distorting
them,
not moving them.

If I use the basic selection tool it selects the objects, but since the
line segments are not completely inside the selection box, they are not
selected.

David Lang
44690edb585f091e006395821ddd6991?d=identicon&s=25 Gianvittorio Zandona (Guest)
David,
I saw your sample and I can see you created the lines with Shift+F6
instead of using Ctrl+F2.
See the same example  (less pretty) , but using Ctrl+F2. If you move
around the boxes with Firewall (for instance), the line will follow as
soon as you let the box go.
Was this what you wanted to do?
Gian

Op 22 mei 2012 om 21:25 uur schreef david@lang.hm:

attached is a sample .svg file.

what I am trying to do is to grab the two networks in the bottom right
and
slide them up to close the large blank space between them and the
network
above them.

If I select the networks and text and then try to move them, the line
segments do not move.

I don't see what ctrl+f2 is going to do with this.

David Lang
B6870612937d008cb0ef5566b9c70478?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
this svg file is not created inside inkscape, it's created with a
separate
tool.

nsdiag is part of the blockdiag.com set of tools, it lets you take a
small
text file and create a svg diagram. I've attached the text file that was
used to create this .svg

for a simple diagram like this it wouldn't take more than a half hour or
so to create it in inkscape directly, but if you can think about a more
complex diagram that includes 50 systems connected to 84 networks with a
total of 294 interfaces and 634 IP addresses, you will see that drawing
this manually will take days, whild a script can create the bockdiag
config file in a couple of minutes and then nwdiag can create a svg file
in a few seconds.

I'm willing to consider modifying the svg file directly, or getting the
blockdiag tools patched to write something different into the svg file
if
that's what it takes to make this work, but I was hoping that there was
some way to work with the data as is, not just because blockdiag makes
these less-than-optimal files, but because there are going to be other
tools that do as well.

A CAD program that I have allows me to select not only objects, but
points. If I select some points in an object and then move them, the
object gets stretched/distorted appropriately. What I think I'm looking
for in Inkscape is a way to grab the point that is the endpoint of the
path as well as the objects and move them all togeather.

David Lang
Faf7c5b7f2c3eb1a151d0b4f73345397?d=identicon&s=25 Tavmjong Bah (Guest)
On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 17:51 -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:

Inkscape does not have the ability to move a single point of a path
(line) and a rectangle (box) or text at the same time. The Selector tool
allows the moving of the block and the entire path. The Node tool allows
one to move nodes of a path but not the move the box.

There are two possible solutions:

1. You can convert everything to paths then you can use the node tool to
select the nodes of the box, text, and shadow paths, and one node of the
line path and move them together. Your text will no longer be searchable
or selectable.

2. You can insert into your SVG file during it's creation the Inkscape
specific attributes used by the Inkscape Connector tool that link paths
to objects. Then if you move a box, the line will follow. The Connector
tool does not handle more complex cases well (such as the one to many
relationships you have in your sample diagram). I believe at the moment,
only connections to the center of a block are implemented.

There has been discussion in the SVG Working group of defining a set of
connector elements that would handle automatically what you ask for but
at the moment nobody has stepped up to do the actual work needed to add
them to the SVG specification.

            Tav
david@lang.hm schrieb:

> object gets stretched/distorted appropriately. What I think I'm looking
> for in Inkscape is a way to grab the point that is the endpoint of the
> path as well as the objects and move them all togeather.

* Switch to select to tool F1
* Select all objects with Shift+Click or/and Shift-Drag
* then switch to node tool with F2
* select the nodes you want to edit with Click and/or Drag
* move them with the arrow keys.

Cheerz Lars
On Wed, 23 May 2012, Tavmjong Bah wrote:

>> Is there an easy way to do this that I have been overlooking?
> select the nodes of the box, text, and shadow paths, and one node of the
> line path and move them together. Your text will no longer be searchable
> or selectable.
>
> 2. You can insert into your SVG file during it's creation the Inkscape
> specific attributes used by the Inkscape Connector tool that link paths
> to objects. Then if you move a box, the line will follow. The Connector
> tool does not handle more complex cases well (such as the one to many
> relationships you have in your sample diagram). I believe at the moment,
> only connections to the center of a block are implemented.

can anyone tell me what these specific attributes would need to be?

David Lang
On Wed, 23 May 2012, Lars Behrens wrote:

> * move them with the arrow keys.
This doesn't seem to work for me

It looks like the selection of objects via F1 is completely lost when I
hit F2 (until I hit F1 again, at which time it looses the selection made
by F2)

If I hit the arrow keys after F2 some things move, it I hit the arrow
keys
after hitting F1 other things move.

at one point I thought I had managed to grab the end of the paths, but
now
I'm not able to replicate that.

Is there some other svg editor that I should look at?

David Lang
Existing account

No account? Register here.