Forum: Ruby Re: ArachnoRuby -- a professional Ruby IDE

464cc67eb336e3066905aef12ee83cb8?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick.Bennett (Guest)

> Is that perhaps already in the product and I've missed it?

You can use Search->Lookup selection, but it's nothing more than an
automatic cross-project grep.
While it is a *very* nice feature, I agree, Arachno Ruby definitely
needs more Ruby smarts and the ability to jump instantly to a
method/class definition.

Patrick Bennett
F0223b1193ecc3a935ce41a1edd72e42?d=identicon&s=25 zdennis (Guest)
Bennett, Patrick wrote:

> You can use Search->Lookup selection, but it's nothing more than an
> automatic cross-project grep.
> While it is a *very* nice feature, I agree, Arachno Ruby definitely
> needs more Ruby smarts and the ability to jump instantly to a
> method/class definition.

This isn't a ArachnoRuby thing persay, but it applies to any up and
coming ruby IDE.... how would
you as the user expect the IDE to take you to a class definition, if the
class itself is
defined/opened in multiple files?

Zach
Af95bdaf87958c40150b813e94381bfd?d=identicon&s=25 Christer Nilsson (christer)
on 2005-12-08 01:34
Good question!

Why not show all the code snippets, that defines the class?

Christer
Ef8b68858adef176d6dc71a727867b38?d=identicon&s=25 jussij (Guest)
> This isn't a ArachnoRuby thing persay, but it applies to any
> up and coming ruby IDE.... how would you as the user expect
> the IDE to take you to a class definition, if the class itself
> is defined/opened in multiple files?

The Zeus for Windows IDE handles this case by displaying dialog
box containing a list of the files and letting the user decide.

Zeus automatically manages the ctags information for all files
contained in the currently open workspace and it this information
that it uses for things like tag search, class browsing and
intellisensing.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows Programmer's IDE
http://www.zeusedit.com