Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Off-line API-Reference

Fb82eeecbc04624bceb5af158e430b4b?d=identicon&s=25 Pat Guano (Guest)

unfortunately, the API reference at
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby-GN... is
not always accessible for me.

At the same time, I appear to be unable to locate an offline-version of
the API-reference. The link to the "GNOME 2.0 API Reference" at
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/ which is found on top of the cited
page is also disfunctional.

Question: Can you point me at a downloadable, possibly compressed issue
of the "Ruby-GNOME2 API Reference" or tell me otherwise, how to procede?

I am programming tiny tools and use Gtk2 to create meager GUIs to
otherwise terminal-based applications. Gtk appears to be ideal for the
purpose. If you are interested in my frugal attempts, see on
sourceforge: "Crème Fraiche" or the other results of my struggle against
the computer on my web-site: www.uplawski.eu.

Presently I am fixing bugs and preparing the new GUI to "Crème Fraiche".

Thanks for your help, even where I haven't asked.

Michael Uplawski
D9ba13de4e62fcabffa4403731434e42?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c65)
on 2012-05-18 03:18
Hi Michael:

I know they have a tarball on their site, but I didn't find it to be
very readable.  I usually slog through their site.  It would be nice to
have the whole thing on disk.

I've downloaded your program, but I don't see how to run the GUI part.

I don't know what you want to do with this program, but I have some
suggestins:

1)  The install can be easier.  You can simply install all the GTk
packages, then install your program as a gem.  When your gem installs
you can make the dependencies of prawn and gtk2.  That will make the
prawn gem and the gtk2 bindings install automatically.

Also,  you can have your gem install as an executable, so the user will
just have to type "gem install cremefraiche" and then they can just type
the command "cremefraiche" at the command prompt and it will work.

2)  You can eliminate a huge amount of your code by using my IDE,
visualruby:

visualruby.net

You can build your
forms using the glade interface designer, and make your program only
contain ruby logic.

3) I'd suggest making your config file into a class that you dump onto
disk using yaml.

Yours,
Eric
Fb82eeecbc04624bceb5af158e430b4b?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Thanks Eric for all suggestions.

Since I quit professional "Software" Development, I confess, that
planning and "design" have not been any of my priorities in my private
"projects" (to say the least).

On 18.05.2012 03:18, Eric C. wrote:
> Hi Michael:
>
> I know they have a tarball on their site, but I didn't find it to be
> very readable.  I usually slog through their site.  It would be nice to
> have the whole thing on disk.

So I make it a suggestion and hope for the pressure to rise... ;-)

> I've downloaded your program, but I don't see how to run the GUI part.

$> ruby [installation path]/cremefraiche/gui/cremefraicheGui.rb

There will be a HOWTO dedicated to the GUI, as I tend to keep both ways
to run the program apart.

> I don't know what you want to do with this program, but I have some
> suggestins:

Nor do I know. Someone asked for an easy way to turn EML into PDF and I
just did it. Someone else integrated Creme Fraiche into Alfresco and I
guess, that there is a use to it.

> 2)  You can eliminate a huge amount of your code by using my IDE,
> visualruby:
>
> visualruby.net
>
> You can build your
> forms using the glade interface designer, and make your program only
> contain ruby logic.
>
> 3) I'd suggest making your config file into a class that you dump onto
> disk using yaml.

I will consider all these suggestions during the next weeks, when I will
again be without an Internet-connection. Thanks again.

> Yours,
> Eric

Read you all some time... ;-)

Michael.
www.uplawski.eu
Fb82eeecbc04624bceb5af158e430b4b?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Thanks Eric for all suggestions.

Since I quit professional "Software" Development, I confess, that
planning and "design" have not been any of my priorities in my private
"projects" (to say the least).

On 18.05.2012 03:18, Eric C. wrote:
> Hi Michael:
>
> I know they have a tarball on their site, but I didn't find it to be
> very readable.  I usually slog through their site.  It would be nice to
> have the whole thing on disk.

So I make it a suggestion and hope for the pressure to rise... ;-)

> I've downloaded your program, but I don't see how to run the GUI part.

$> ruby [installation path]/cremefraiche/gui/cremefraicheGui.rb

There will be a HOWTO dedicated to the GUI, as I tend to keep both ways
to run the program apart.

> I don't know what you want to do with this program, but I have some
> suggestins:

Nor do I know. Someone asked for an easy way to turn EML into PDF and I
just did it. Someone else integrated Creme Fraiche into Alfresco and I
guess, that there is a use to it.

> 2)  You can eliminate a huge amount of your code by using my IDE,
> visualruby:
>
> visualruby.net
>
> You can build your
> forms using the glade interface designer, and make your program only
> contain ruby logic.
>
> 3) I'd suggest making your config file into a class that you dump onto
> disk using yaml.

I will consider all these suggestions during the next weeks, when I will
again be without an Internet-connection. Thanks again.

> Yours,
> Eric

Read you all some time... ;-)

Michael.
www.uplawski.eu

--
"Even today, I think "We're finished" (...) Nosebleed hasn't stopped."
(Mayor Idogawa of Futaba-machi on February 11, 2012)

Les centrales nuclaires franaises sont toutes suffisamment sres pour
poursuivre leur activit (Le Figaro, 3. Januar, 2012)
Existing account

No account? Register here.