Forum: Ruby on Rails Database schema question

1c95037212f7adab1551937358728cc8?d=identicon&s=25 Nelson Keating (Guest)
Im setting up a very basic rails app and have a question about the
needed
migrations & associations.

Basically, my app is an occasion reminder service that emails users when
occasions that they select or input are coming up.

Occasions will be selected from a checkbox type list or alternatively
manually input by the user (name and date of the occasion).

Users can have_many occassions.

How would i set this up in my models? So far i have:

class Reminder < ActiveRecord::Base
  attr_accessible :date, :name
  belongs_to :user
end

class User < ActiveRecord::Base
  attr_accessible :address, :birthday, :city, :email, :gender,
:interests,
:name, :postal_code
  has_many :reminders
end

Thanks!
On 4 May 2012 05:50, Nelson Keating <nelsonkeating@gmail.com> wrote:

>  has_many :reminders
> end

You seem confused about the words Reminder and Occasion.  In the text
you say a user has many occasions but in the code you have called them
Reminders.  I would have thought that the object in the database is an
occasion, then you generate reminders for that occasion as required.

Colin
1c95037212f7adab1551937358728cc8?d=identicon&s=25 Nelson Keating (Guest)
Thanks for pointing that out.. so changing the "Reminders" table/model
"Occasions" ... how would i proceed from there?
On 4 May 2012 18:38, Nelson Keating <nelsonkeating@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for pointing that out.. so changing the "Reminders" table/model to
> "Occasions" ... how would i proceed from there?

Have you worked through some tutorials to give you some insight into
the basics of Rails?  railstutorial.org is good and is free to use
online.  If you work right through that, doing the exercises and so on
then you should be better placed to get going.

Colin
Existing account

No account? Register here.