Forum: IronRuby uninitialized constant OpenSSL::Digest::SHA1

4aea8d98d87228b7780bdb21cfdaed27?d=identicon&s=25 Craig Thompson (Guest)
Trying to create a simple "hello world" application. So far I simply
deleted the /public/index.html file and created a home controller. When
I try to browse to the page, I get an uninitialized constant
OpenSSL::Digest::SHA1 error. Couple of pieces of information. OS is
Windows 7 and I am using the Visual Studio as my IDE. I've done some
googleing, but I haven't been able to find any articles that describe
the error I'm having. I've installed OpenSSL using a windows installer
and I tried copying ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll into the IronRuby bin
folder, but that did not work. Seems like I must be missing something
really basic.

Thanks,
Craig
04b9cea001c22cc62e650a3180a1123a?d=identicon&s=25 Per Lundberg (Guest)
Hi there,

It seems like you are using some kind of framework/web server - what
would
that be?
Do you use Sinatra or how does is your Ruby web application structured?

Best regards,
Per
65030f148a97a8c19de608917f505d02?d=identicon&s=25 Will Green (hotgazpacho)
OpenSSL in Ruby is implemented in a C Extension. Last I checked,
IronRuby can't load C extensions.

I looked into doing a .NET port of OpenSSL for IronRuby, but quickly got
lost in the .NET Crypto APIs. This was 2 years ago.

--
Will Green
will@hotgazpacho.org

Craig

OpenSSL in Ruby is implemented in a C Extension. Last I checked,
IronRuby can't load C extensions.

I looked into doing a .NET port of OpenSSL for IronRuby, but quickly got
lost in the .NET Crypto APIs. This was 2 years ago.

--
Will Green
will@hotgazpacho.org

Well, I got it to work... But I'm not sure why. In the ActiveSupport
3.0.1 gem, I made a change to line 59 in the message_verifier.rb.

I changed it from:
OpenSSL::HMAC.hexdigest(OpenSSL::Digest.const_get(@digest).new, @secret,
data)
OpenSSL::HMAC.hexdigest(OpenSSL::Digest::Digest.new(@digest), @secret,
data)

I have no idea why it worked. Only figured it out by hacking around in
iirb.