Forum: Ruby on Rails Deploy with Switchtower using multiple users

3a97c4b29fd4c9385dff9973bafe4063?d=identicon&s=25 manfred (Guest)
Last week I tried to deploy a project that was first deployed by
someone else and I got a lot of permission errors from the server,
which was to be expected because a lot of the files belong to the
other person. What would be the preferred way to solve this?

Thanks,
  Manfred
C846b78a4a4c978fd34ef965320a13b0?d=identicon&s=25 ryan (Guest)
On Dec 6, 2005, at 2:02 AM, Manfred Stienstra wrote:

> Last week I tried to deploy a project that was first deployed by
> someone else and I got a lot of permission errors from the server,
> which was to be expected because a lot of the files belong to the
> other person. What would be the preferred way to solve this?

Make the deploy directory group writeable?

-ryan
On 7-dec-2005, at 8:26, Ryan King wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2005, at 2:02 AM, Manfred Stienstra wrote:
>
>> Last week I tried to deploy a project that was first deployed by
>> someone else and I got a lot of permission errors from the server,
>> which was to be expected because a lot of the files belong to the
>> other person. What would be the preferred way to solve this?
>
> Make the deploy directory group writeable?

That doesn't work because Switchtower tries to chmod certain files,
and you have to be owner to do that.

For instance: chmod 666 /var/www/#{application}/revisions.log