Forum: Ruby CLOSING SHOP! XML:Tools, bindings for libxml and libxslt

45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 transfire (Guest)
It my sad task to inform all those interested that I will no long be
able to host libxml and libxslt bindings for Ruby. I feel these are
very important bindings, but I am simply not the appropriate person for
this task.

I only became their custodian because a couple of years ago I noticed
they were on the verge of fading into obscurity. It wasn't that people
weren't using them, but that no one was supporting them. So I took it
upon myself to at least preserve them, host them, give them a firm
home, until such time that someone would come along to take up the
cause proper.

Well, after all this time a handful of persons have expressed interest
in helping but none have been willing to take the reigns. That's
unfortunate. And while I wish I had the skills and time to do so myself
I simply do not.

So if anyone wants these bindings to survive, indeed, to thrive, now is
the time to act. If you are interested please let me know. I will fill
you in about the current status and what at least has to happen in
order to move forward. If no one steps forward I'm afraid I will just
have to trash them.

T.
Bc6d88907ce09158581fbb9b469a35a3?d=identicon&s=25 james_b (Guest)
Trans wrote:

> So if anyone wants these bindings to survive, indeed, to thrive, now is
> the time to act. If you are interested please let me know. I will fill
> you in about the current status and what at least has to happen in
> order to move forward. If no one steps forward I'm afraid I will just
> have to trash them.

I'm happy to host what you have on rubyxml.com, though I cannot offer to
do any actual work on the projects.

James

31ab75f7ddda241830659630746cdd3a?d=identicon&s=25 halostatue (Guest)
On 12/5/05, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> It my sad task to inform all those interested that I will no long be
> able to host libxml and libxslt bindings for Ruby. I feel these are
> very important bindings, but I am simply not the appropriate person for
> this task.

I recommend putting these on RubyForge with an equivalent notice to
this. That way, they don't have to be trashed, but they don't have to
be actively maintained, either ;)

-austin
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 transfire (Guest)
Thanks.

Well, I already have it hosted at Rubyforge. But it needs to be turned
over to anther project owner. Will you take it James, even if you can't
work on it?

T.
82e62c756d89bc6fa0a0a2d7f2b1e617?d=identicon&s=25 rosco (Guest)
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:14:07 -0000, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Well, I already have it hosted at Rubyforge. But it needs to be turned
> over to anther project owner. Will you take it James, even if you can't
> work on it?
>
> T.

Without knowing what's involved, I'm not sure how much help I can be,
but
I'd be happy to put some work in on these bindings where it's needed. It
could be a good opportunity for me to gain some experience...
Trans wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Well, I already have it hosted at Rubyforge. But it needs to be turned
> over to anther project owner. Will you take it James, even if you can't
> work on it?

Um, if you need a name to go with the project, sure.   But I haven't
touched C code in about a year, and free time is a myth.

James

45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 transfire (Guest)
Ross,

That would be great! There's really not a whole lot to do. And if
you're good at c it'll be a snap. I'll contact off list.

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 16:42:50 -0000, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ross,
>
> That would be great! There's really not a whole lot to do. And if
> you're good at c it'll be a snap. I'll contact off list.
>
> T.

I've kept taking my C out for a walk on other projects, so hopefully
it'll
rise to the challenge. I wanted to get some time with Ruby's backend (so
to speak) so it'll be a good opportunity :)
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 transfire (Guest)
Ross, contact me via private email. I tried the return address your
messages give but that didn't work.

T.