Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Installing packages with Gems

0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-04-19 04:17
Hi y'all:

I install the gtk2 rubygem like this:

gem install gtk2

It says "building native extensions" and takes a long time as it goes
through several packages:  atk, pango, gtk-pixbuf etc.

When it does this, is it installing gtk packages onto my hard disk?  Or
is it just installing the bindings?

I'd like to make my program install packages when someone installs my
gem.
So the user would just have to enter one command:

gem install visualruby

Then hopefully, I can have this process install dependent packages too.
Essentially I'd like it to do this command first:

sudo apt-get install gtksourceview2.0-dev

during the gem's install procedure.  Is this possible?

Is that what gtk2 does?

Thanks,
Eric
B078cb4f4fb473c7a54d1fc36d10c70e?d=identicon&s=25 Regis d'Aubarede (raubarede)
on 2012-04-20 00:32
Eric C. wrote in post #1057286:

> When it does this, is it installing gtk packages onto my hard disk?  Or
> is it just installing the bindings?
No, it only install ruby binding fotr gtk2

> I'd like to make my program install packages when someone installs my
> gem.

Very hard to do : each linux distribution has his own command for
installing
package, and windows and Mac ...
And do 'sudo' in installation can disturb  some people.
And gem can be installed without internet access : >ruby setup.rb

An other solution is system side :
 create a debian packed, with dependencie on gtk2, ruby, rubygem , and
then
 install visualruby (and shoes and green shoes and ruiby :)
 do the same with  rpm, yum .... windows msi

Sorry for my english...
by
D9ba13de4e62fcabffa4403731434e42?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c65)
on 2012-04-20 07:43
Thanks, unfortunately, I can't always get what I want.  :)
> An other solution is system side :
>  create a debian packed

That is specific to only one distribution.

Gems was created to be agnostic to the underlying platform as much as
possible.

I think the gem solution will work if you have all headers of the
packages on the machine you run gem.
Existing account

No account? Register here.