Forum: Ruby Filling PDF Forms

C8a634a01a2c4508360874bff7fb1a7f?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Olbrich <kevin.olbrich@duke.edu> (Guest)
on 2005-12-05 05:52
Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
F0b26d242cc8af969cb83b045d679348?d=identicon&s=25 pfharlock (Guest)
Kevin Olbrich <kevin.olbrich@duke.edu> wrote:
> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/
C8a634a01a2c4508360874bff7fb1a7f?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Olbrich (Guest)
on 2005-12-05 18:05
pfharlock wrote:
> Kevin Olbrich <kevin.olbrich@duke.edu> wrote:
>> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
>> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
>>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

While this is helpful, it does not solve my problem.

To clarify... I have a pre-existing PDF file which has various form
fields defined within it.  I would like to automatically fill the
defined form fields with data from a database and provide the completed
file for download to the end user.

As near as I can tell from reading the manual, PDF::Writer does not
support forms in this fashion.

I really don't want to regenerate the entire form from scratch.

_Kevin
31ab75f7ddda241830659630746cdd3a?d=identicon&s=25 halostatue (Guest)
On 12/5/05, Kevin Olbrich <kevin.olbrich@duke.edu> wrote:
> pfharlock wrote:
> > Kevin Olbrich <kevin.olbrich@duke.edu> wrote:
> >> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
> >> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
> >>
> > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/
>
> While this is helpful, it does not solve my problem.

You are correct. I am not sure when or if this will be possible with
PDF::Writer. You may want to look around the Adobe developer website,
because there are indications that it may be possible with other
means. I just haven't investigated it so far.

-austin
61b2c6628cbb595e36ee2989c972ef63?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I'm looking for this same functionality myself. Please post if/when you
find a way to do it in Ruby.

Thanks-
Michael
61b2c6628cbb595e36ee2989c972ef63?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Just to follow up on this...

I ended up using iText which is a Java library. Filling in the form
fields was a piece of cake!
http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

After writing my own wrapper to iText I then connected it to Ruby using
RJB
http://arton.no-ip.info/collabo/backyard/?RubyJavaBridge
This bridge was also very easy to configure and use.