Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 2nd Release of Visual Ruby

0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-04-02 04:32
Hi y'all:

I've just added support for active_record to visualruby, so you can add
active_record objects to listviews and treeviews.  I've also updated the
documentation today.

So, its time for the second release!

go to:

http://visualruby.net  (click on download)

If any of you have time, please try to install it, and let me know how
it goes.  I'm getting a fair number of downloads, but I suspect that
people are encountering install issues.  I'd really like to know what's
going on.

Thanks for all of your great work.

Yours,
Eric
F7e57474f25e19442bbd803275685b36?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin McCaughey (tentimes)
on 2012-04-02 17:34
I had tried it and it was failing because it couldn't find devkit
(cairo) even though I had it installed and checked the windows path.

This version though installed ok and I have it running and ran the
simple example script fine. As soon as I get more time I will give it a
proper whirl.

Can I ask about licensing? If it is something you want to get paid for
(which is absolutely fine) then I would prefer to know before I put too
much time into it. If it is open source then I would learn it rather
than start on GTK itself.

Also, I know you disagree, but I still think version numbers would be a
good idea, even at this stage. It helps us keep track :)
F7e57474f25e19442bbd803275685b36?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin McCaughey (tentimes)
on 2012-04-02 17:36
Oh one error I am getting, which doesn't seem to affect much:
Gtk-WARNING: **:Unknown property: GtkMenu.ubuntu-local
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-04-03 01:15
Thanks Kevin.  I appreciate your help.

The cairo error kou fixed.  It was a problem with the gtk2 gem.  The
"unknown property" is a bug in GTK and they fixed it as well.  However,
the bug report that I read said that it was fixed in mid-2011, and it
doesn't seem to be reflected in the versions that are available for
download.

The gtk files from the glade page are dated 2009.  I don't know how to
install the latest files.  Anyone?

In the meantime, you can just ignore the warning.  It doesn't seem to
affect anything.

Yours,
Eric
B078cb4f4fb473c7a54d1fc36d10c70e?d=identicon&s=25 Regis d'Aubarede (raubarede)
on 2012-04-10 18:02
Eric C. wrote in post #1054542:

Hello,

> I'm getting a fair number of downloads, but I suspect that
> people are encountering install issues.  I'd really like to know what's
> going on.

It's seem that when we conserve lot of versions in rubygems.org, the
statistics became wrong : there are some web scraper which download
every reference each time the page change...

I use 'gem yank -v x.y.y project-name' for conserve only
last version in the project home page list.

I have same strange feeling with my little Ruiby tools : lot of
downloads,
no so much echos...

Regards,
Regis
C9813763565d22b83ed243392608eb34?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Flanagan (jrf)
on 2012-04-25 02:40
Recent Ruby convert and now trying visualruby for a GUI for an
application I wrote. Have just followed instructions here:
http://visualruby.net/site/Download.html
for Windows install.

Following the 10 minute video I created a new project.

Getting the following error when I right-click to "Edit Glade File"
"The following command couldn't run:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Gtk+\bin\glade-3
C:/VisualRuby/anothertest/bin/glade/MyClass.glade
Check the path in Tools > Settings"

I also cannot run Glade from the Settings menu using any of the supplied
command lines.

I can run Glade using Windows Run command with the same command line VR
tried, ie:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Gtk+\bin\glade-3
C:/VisualRuby/anothertest/bin/glade/MyClass.glade"

Stuck at pretty basic level here but, I would appreciate it if anyone
can tell me what I am doing wrong here.
C9813763565d22b83ed243392608eb34?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Flanagan (jrf)
on 2012-04-25 20:34
Two other facts re the failure to open Glade issue:
If I open one of the example projects supplied, then right-click "Edit
Glade File" does open Glade as expected.

If I create my own project in the same folder
(C:\Users\James_Flanagan\visualruby_examples) those projects have the
same problem noted above, ie right-click "Edit Glade File" does not open
Glade.

thanks in advance for your ideas - Jim
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-04-27 08:01
Hi Jim:

Thanks for the feedback.  I believe that there is a problem with your
path.  When the ruby command line is installed I think it has a
different path than the normal command prompt.  So whatever command
works at the ruby command prompt, should work with visualruby too.

Look under start > Programs > Ruby Command prompt

try getting glade to run at that prompt.  You can also try to print the
PATH environment variable to see what paths are included.  I believe
these will be different from your normal command prompt.

Also, I believe that if you give the full path to the executable, it
should work too.  Please try these suggestions, and report back.

I vaguely remember encountering this problem myself.

I'm using linux now, but I will try on my computer in Windows too.

Let me know what happens, or if you're still unclear on the problem.

Thanks,
Eric
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-04-27 08:04
Also, I think it actually is working on your computer because it works
with the examples.  Just make sure that your project, "anothertest" has
the exact same glade command (in settings) as the examples, and it
should work.

Visualruby has different settings for each project, so check the
settings on each one.

I think this must be the problem.

Eric
F7e57474f25e19442bbd803275685b36?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin McCaughey (tentimes)
on 2012-05-05 13:58
Jim, you might be interested in this PATH editor, it makes it easy to
check/change the path to ruby.exe in windows:

http://www.redfernplace.com/software-projects/patheditor/

Jim Flanagan wrote in post #1058200:
> Recent Ruby convert and now trying visualruby for a GUI for an
> application I wrote. Have just followed instructions here:
> http://visualruby.net/site/Download.html
> for Windows install.
>
> Following the 10 minute video I created a new project.
>
> Getting the following error when I right-click to "Edit Glade File"
> "The following command couldn't run:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Gtk+\bin\glade-3
> C:/VisualRuby/anothertest/bin/glade/MyClass.glade
> Check the path in Tools > Settings"
>
> I also cannot run Glade from the Settings menu using any of the supplied
> command lines.
>
> I can run Glade using Windows Run command with the same command line VR
> tried, ie:
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Gtk+\bin\glade-3
> C:/VisualRuby/anothertest/bin/glade/MyClass.glade"
>
> Stuck at pretty basic level here but, I would appreciate it if anyone
> can tell me what I am doing wrong here.
5382e8b87c9276dcaa08cf77f76159b5?d=identicon&s=25 mike m. (mike_m75)
on 2012-05-09 20:50
Jim - I found that if I upgraded to win32 Glade 3.8.1 then any opening
windows/editing Glade file problems went away.  This was more than a
path problem because the Glade icon would show in the tool bar.

I do see that creating a new project doesn't give the skeleton anymore.
There is no main.rb.  I don't know if that's a 0.0.59 difference from
0.0.55 or a result of my Glade upgrade.

Mike
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-05-14 23:50
Hi Mike:

Are you sure the skeleton project isn't being created correctly?  I just
tried it on my machine and it worked fine.

To test, select the "open project" tool.  Select the "Select Folder"
button.  Select "Create Folder" and type in a folder name and press
enter.  The box should be empty and pink for a new folder.  Then hit the
"Open" button.  Visualruby should be open with a blank project.  Hit the
run button and a "Hello World" window whould appear.  Is this what you
get?

There is no main.rb file anymore.  It's replaced with a file that is
called simple "main"  (no .rb extension).  I did this because when you
make an executable program its nice to omit the .rb so it can be run
more easily on the command line.

Please give me feedback.  Do you understand how to use it?

Thanks,
Eric
Ed1f0d79bca8c355613946af3921a045?d=identicon&s=25 mike parr (mikeparr)
on 2012-06-21 17:31
Hi Eric
(my first post on this forum)
VR looks v.interesting.  I only know little bits of ruby and gtk, but
thought I would try to follow your download instructions exactly on a
win7 32-bit machine from the point-of-view of an absolute novice, and
report on any problems.  Here we go:

I'm reading your downloads page...
As suggested, removed existing ruby-gnome.  Installed specified version
of ruby (leaving a previous one there).  I checked the 3 boxes for Tcl,
Add to PATH, Associate with .rb.  Not sure if needed to do this.

Installed your glade download.

Now to install vr.  You say:
        Install viusualruby by going to
        Start > Command Prompt With Ruby and entering the command:
         gem install visualruby

(There is a typo: viusual)
What is 'Command Prompt with Ruby'?  It is not on my Start menu.
I just chose Command Prompt (it was currently in one of my other
folders, but the install worked OK.  Good!
(The final line of the gem output was: file 'lib' not found)

I then typed vr at the command prompt - it seems that this command
worked from any directory.
I got the warning:
C:/Ruby193/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/vrlib-0.0.32/lib/GladeGUI.rb: line
127
   Gtk-WARNING **:Unknown property: GtkMenu.ubuntu-local

Runs fine - looks great - tried some of your examples.

Tried the help menu - it needs an 'about' - I know you know this!
Tried Help...Tutorials.  Gives the error:

   The following command couldn't run:
     firefox http://www.visualruby.net
      Check the path in Tools > Settings

So I did indeed check the path, and the default setting is firefox - I
set this again.  (I use firefox  v12.0)  Same problem.  I explored this.

Typing firefox or firefox.exe results in a message saying that it is not
recognised as a program or command - unless I run the command prompt in
the folder that firefox is installed in.
So, you maybe need the full path to firefox, or maybe you could just
exec the web address and let windows run its default browser.  Not sure
which is best or portable.

Good luck, great stuff!
Mike
E5bb65e5a701060706365b4f771dcc8f?d=identicon&s=25 Karthikeyan A K (mindaslab)
on 2012-06-26 18:16
Wow cool, will soon try it out. I think it has got a great potential.
Going thru screen cast.
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-07-05 02:28
Sorry for the late response.

Mike, I'm running Windows 7 and when it installs ruby, it does install a
program on the start munu called "Command Prompt with Ruby."   I don't
know why your machine is different.  But it works!

Don't worry about the "Ubuntu local" warning.  Its a bug that doesn't
hurt anything.

The browser command is simply the command you run from the command
prompt to start your browser.  I don't think the exec command can be
substituted because it will stop the current process.

The "lib" not found error means you need to install rdoc (I think).  I'm
not sure.  If anyone knows about this please post the answer.

Thanks,
Eric
74f7b4679cfe88d76faedf5ee3aa7c6e?d=identicon&s=25 Torli Birnbauer (rubinx)
on 2012-07-05 03:05
I'm trying to install vr on Ubuntu 11.04, and after running: {{ sudo gem
install visualruby }} I get the following error:

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::ENOENT)
    No such file or directory -
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/visualruby-0.1.0/["."]/vr

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-07-11 06:25
Sorry for the late response.

If you're running rvm, sometimes you need to omit the "sudo" part of the
command:

gem install visualruby

Also check to see if your ruby versions match.  The path in your error
is using ruby version 1.9.1.  Is this the version you intended?  Your
gem install command should install visualruby into the path that
corresponds to the version of ruby you're using.  For example, when you
use ruby 1.9.3 it should install into a path that corresponds to version
1.9.3 etc.

Check each step.

Let me know how it goes.

Eric
C53e81f5d7c781c6dc3979c4ce888706?d=identicon&s=25 Grant Schoep (matobinder)
on 2012-07-11 17:34
> Also check to see if your ruby versions match.  The path in your error
> is using ruby version 1.9.1.  Is this the version you intended?  Your
> gem install command should install visualruby into the path that
> corresponds to the version of ruby you're using.  For example, when you
> use ruby 1.9.3 it should install into a path that corresponds to version
> 1.9.3 etc.

Note, that 1.9.1 directory under your ruby home path will say Ruby 1.9.1
regardless if its 1.9.1, 1.9.2, or 1.9.3.

It doesn't mean that your ruby interpreter is 1.9.1, why this is can be
answered by some one I am sure.

I have a number of ruby builds on my system. 1.9.1, 1.9.2, and 1.9.3 all
installed to there own location. The 1.9.1 directory tree appears under
all them. It does NOT create a 1.9.2 or 1.9.3 directory.
74f7b4679cfe88d76faedf5ee3aa7c6e?d=identicon&s=25 Torli Birnbauer (rubinx)
on 2012-07-13 02:59
Eric C. wrote in post #1068223:

> Also check to see if your ruby versions match.  The path in your error
> is using ruby version 1.9.1.  Is this the version you intended?  Your
> gem install command should install visualruby into the path that
> corresponds to the version of ruby you're using.  For example, when you
> use ruby 1.9.3 it should install into a path that corresponds to version
> 1.9.3 etc.
>
> Check each step.
>
> Let me know how it goes.
>

> Eric

I did not have vrm installed, and I was switching between 1.8 and 1.9.1
with a home grown script. I have since installed the missing vrm and
also Ruby 1.9.3. I now managed to install {{ visualruby }}.

Thank you for your reply :)
A5b162a4fbb9a3de36cbc9520dbb14df?d=identicon&s=25 Abhishek K. (abhishek_k33)
on 2012-10-26 21:00
I'm trying to install vr on Ubuntu 11.04, and after running: {{ sudo gem
install visualruby }} I get the following error:

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Errno::ENOENT)
    No such file or directory -
/var/lib/gems/1.9.1/gems/visualruby-0.1.0/["."]/vr

thanks
http://www.packersmoversdirectory.net/
E5bb65e5a701060706365b4f771dcc8f?d=identicon&s=25 Karthikeyan A K (mindaslab)
on 2012-10-28 05:18
Eric C. wrote in post #1054542:
> Hi y'all:
>
> I've just added support for active_record to visualruby, so you can add
> active_record objects to listviews and treeviews.  I've also updated the
> documentation today.
>
> So, its time for the second release!
>
> go to:
>
> http://visualruby.net  (click on download)
>
> Yours,
> Eric

This software rocks!
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-11-11 07:29
Thank you!!   I worked very hard on this project, and I'm really happy
that you are using it.  Let me know if you need help or features.

I've been really busy, so I can only do tiny fixes right now, but I'm
planning to fix the main problem with the program:

I know that when the program starts, it must scan the entire "home"
directory looking for visualruby projects.  This can be slow especially
on windows machines.  I will need to add something to focus the search
into a smaller area.

I will post any updates here.

Thanks,
Eric
00c2ec5c197b2de8e55997e594ba4c0a?d=identicon&s=25 Klaus D. (kdiddy)
on 2012-11-22 23:36
Eric C. wrote in post #1054542:
> Hi y'all:
>
> I've just added support for active_record to visualruby, so you can add
> active_record objects to listviews and treeviews.  I've also updated the
> documentation today.
>
> So, its time for the second release!
>
> go to:
>
> http://visualruby.net  (click on download)
>
> If any of you have time, please try to install it, and let me know how
> it goes.  I'm getting a fair number of downloads, but I suspect that
> people are encountering install issues.  I'd really like to know what's
> going on.
>
> Thanks for all of your great work.
>
> Yours,
> Eric

Hi Eric,

I have found the website visualruby.net yesterday and installed it
immediatly on an Ubuntu 12.10 system. I am new to GTK / Linux GUI
development ( coming from Windows ) and my first impression is: AWSOME
!!

I will start to try rebuilding parts of my app in visualruby and  come
back to you and the forum as soon as I hit some problems ;-)

Best regards

Klaus
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-11-23 08:31
Hi Klaus:

Thanks for your kind words.  If you have any problems, or questions, let
me know.  I'll try my best to contribute to your project.

What is your app?  Is it programmed in Ruby now?  What are your goals?

I started in windows too.  Visual Ruby is very similar to Visual Basic.

Best wishes,
Eric C
5aa196069d39b9e9ad1cfd3467153c43?d=identicon&s=25 Michel Bouckaert (mbck)
on 2012-12-18 21:37
Just installed VR on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04.1 VM

If I type "vr" at the command line, from any directory, I am given a
list of example projects in a window.  I can select and open any.  So
far so good.  And it looks great :-) , a great tool to use -- and then I
get stuck :-(

On that window, unless an example is eelected, the "Open" button has no
effect.

Trying to invoke "vr <directory name>" does no good.  If <directory
name> is that of a directory that exists, I get the same result as with
no parameter.  If the name given doesn't match a directory, I get a No
such file or directory message (traceback: open / entries / initialize /
new "<top (required)>" / load / main /eval / main).

If I open one of the examples:

* Pressing "Open Project" results in the same "Select Visual Ruby
Project Root" window opening;
* The File menu shows "New skeliton Window script", "New skeliton Child
Window script", "New Blank Document", "Save All", "Save As..." and
"Close All" (and Quit).  The Tools menu speaks about creating a Gemspec
file, an account, a launcher ... But nowhere is there an indication of
how to create just a project.

I know I am missing sumpthin' but what, exactly ?
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-12-24 07:18
Hi:

I know that this isn't obvious, but the way to create a project is to
click "Open Project" then "Select Folder."  Really a project is just a
root folder.  If you want a new, blank project, select "Create Folder"
and just create a new folder.

This is shown in the videos on the website:

http://visualruby.net

I think its in the "Quick Start" tutorial.

Let me know how it goes,
Eric C
F7e57474f25e19442bbd803275685b36?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin McCaughey (tentimes)
on 2012-12-24 11:13
Eric - any news yet on how you plan to license this? I asked a while
back but you hadn't decided.

Thanks,

Kevin
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2012-12-26 07:50
I'd like to figure-out a way to make money from my work, but its looking
difficult.  Right now I'm reserving the right to charge, but don't worry
about using it for any free/personal stuff.  If you want to use it for
commercial purposes, I'm asking for very little money to use it.  Either
way, there's nothing stopping anyone from using it.

As it changes into a community project, it may become totally free.
Honestly, I don't know what to do about this issue now.
4ae4aa6bebac9381d575948b9b9cc59a?d=identicon&s=25 Sidney S. (sidney_s)
on 2013-01-09 20:29
Hi, first of all, thank you for having made this project, it seems
promising =)

I would like to get some info, as I'm not very experienced with gui
programming. I first learned how to use Shoes, and even experienced
seeing limitations (lack of making table, menus, and quite ugly in
appearance) out of it.

Some questions:
1) What relation got VisualRuby with Ruby-GNOME2? Can we use his
libraries?
2) Does VisualRuby is compatible with the last stable version of Glade?
Because it is said that Ruby isn't supported here:
http://www.gtk.org/language-bindings.php
3) Is there any VisualRuby good software in order to peek inside, to
discover VisualRuby mechanisms?

Thanks you, depending on my second question's answer, I may learn how to
use it for my personnals projects =) !
F7e57474f25e19442bbd803275685b36?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin McCaughey (tentimes)
on 2013-01-10 10:53
Eric C. wrote in post #1090223:
> I'd like to figure-out a way to make money from my work, but its looking
> difficult.  Right now I'm reserving the right to charge, but don't worry
> about using it for any free/personal stuff.  If you want to use it for
> commercial purposes, I'm asking for very little money to use it.  Either
> way, there's nothing stopping anyone from using it.
>
> As it changes into a community project, it may become totally free.
> Honestly, I don't know what to do about this issue now.

Could I make a suggestion then please? Have a look at RubyMotion on
mac/ios (http://www.rubymotion.com/) as I think that is your closest
business idea.

They do not have a system for lone developers or people just learning. I
realise it's iOS but if you look at it just as an app platform, that is
the kind of thing that could make you money. Who knows, you might even
get interested in doing the Android equivalent.

I would say price it as soon as it's ready and have a go at selling it,
but allow it to be free for Open Source projects. That way it stands a
good chance of getting some traction (the kind of traction you need for
adoption).

Somebody like me, who is an very, very (i.e. unemployed) poor developer
can work on his project then pay for the license when he is ready to go
pro himself. So you get lots of people who would not normally use it
interested from day one. You get people in the community using it, and
when it hits a critical point you could be onto a really good thing.

I think it definitely has potential to free a lot of Ruby programmers
and I also think it could make you a bit of money - but getting it in
use is your first hurdle. That's why I say free for open source - that
gets you your user/tester base.
81dcb2f6f10ccfbd330ed2e6b4a03177?d=identicon&s=25 Abhirama Sundram (abhiram)

am using active record in visual ruby, When i edit a field in a table
its getting edited but its not getting saved in my database. I want to
edit the data in the row inplace and want to save it as i type. Which
signal should i use to achieve it.

For example, in the activerecord1 example, In choose person when i click
any field it is getting opened in a separate form, in that form i have
included i have placed a save button and included the below code.

 def button1_clicked
    get_glade_all()
    save
  end

this is working fine and the edited data is getting saved in the
database after clicking the button.

But i dont want this i want to save the data as i type directly in the
field. so i tried as below..

class ChoosePerson < VR::ListView

  include GladeGUI

  def initialize()
    super(:name => String, :phone => String)  # Person class
    col_editable(true)
  end

  def show()
    load_glade(__FILE__)  #loads file, glade/MyClass.glade into @builder
    @builder["window1"].resize 450, 220
    @builder["scrolledwindow1"].add(self)
    Person.all.each do |p|
      row = add_row() #add_row(:person => p)
      row.load_object(p)

    end
    show_window()
  end

   def button1_clicked
    row = vr_row(selection.selected)
    row[:name].save

but i dono how to save it while am typing in the field. Please help me
out of this.
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2013-03-04 04:01
Hi:

Perhaps you should make a new topic for this question.  This thread is
getting long.

You can try the button_press_event and button_release_event in the
Gtk::Widget class:

def self__button_press_event(*args)
  button1__clicked
end

This will fire every time a key is pressed.  You may also be able to
limit the number of saves by checking to see if a cell in a certain
column is being edited, and only save if it is.  You may also be able to
just capture the keypress of a single column or cell.

Hope this helps,
Eric C
2d239e053ca49d1178730a43363fd067?d=identicon&s=25 Mattias S. (mattias_s)
Great work on Visual Ruby. I am very new to Ruby but I thought Visual
Ruby would be a good place to start. I have installed it on Windows 7
and it worked fine except that I get the same error as described by Jim
Flanagan (2012-04-25), e.i. an error when I try to edit a glade file. I
don't know if this was resolved but I found that I could run glade-3 as
an Administrator from the command line but not as a normal user. I don't
think this was mentioned by Jim F. Is there a simple solution to this?
Or is it possible that I have done something wrong during the
installation that causes this effect?
Best Regards,
Mattias
0d130f179f85401f248e6ebc2ef8292f?d=identicon&s=25 Eric C. (eric_c)
on 2013-03-05 04:05
Hi Mattias:

Thanks.  vr simply runs glade on the command line, just as you do.  So
perhaps if you run vr as an administrator, it will run glade as
adminstrator too?  Everything I use just runs as a normal user.  I don't
know why you'd want to set-up your computer to run as administrator.

2d239e053ca49d1178730a43363fd067?d=identicon&s=25 Mattias S. (mattias_s)
on 2013-03-05 15:31
Thank you for your response, Eric.
This is the weirdest thing. VR does not even run when I try to run it as
Administrator. When I installed Glade it did ask for administrator
privileges. I assume this is why I don't get access to Glade as a normal
user. I think I will try to reinstall everything as Administrator and
see what happens.
Cheers,
Mattias
2d239e053ca49d1178730a43363fd067?d=identicon&s=25 Mattias S. (mattias_s)
on 2013-03-05 21:46
It actually works now, when starting the program using Start Command
Prompt with Ruby as Administrator. I just can't figure out why I can't
run it as a normal user.

Eric: on your last comment, I have not set up my computer to run as
administrator. I only found that I could start Glade as administrator
but I do want to run the program as a normal user.

// Mattias
A6adde9d057ae2180f2df10b9a80ce18?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas R. (pianoman)
on 2013-05-17 15:53
Hi Eric,

first of all: thank you very much for "Visual Ruby", great work!

As an absolute Ruby-beginner I'm very interested in learning how to
create gui with Visual Ruby, but I cannot find enough examples to get
behind the logic of it all.
I tried to find out, how to write a simple key-press thing, but since I
couln't find any examples, I failed ...
Where can I find more examples, easy examples?

Greetings
Thomas
3396e4a3df8a840faec520af8555a400?d=identicon&s=25 Mario Steele (Guest)
Hello Thomas,

Visual Ruby has a small subset of extended custom controls, that aren't
part of the normal Gtk2/Ruby-Gnome2 Toolkit.  But, since Visual Ruby
builds
on Gtk2/Ruby-Gnome2, you can look at the examples for Gtk2/Ruby-Gnome2,
and
they will work with Visual Ruby as well.  There are more things being
added
to the Visual Ruby core, as well as a new version of the Visual Ruby IDE
being developed by me right now, that you can check out at
http://bitbucket.org/visualruby/ide and
http://bitbucket.org/visualruby/corelib these will eventually be
released
as gems, as I get closer to getting things stable.

Currently, I'm working on some issues with Threading on Windows, that
prove
to work in test cases that I run of them, but fails to work in the IDE
itself when I run the same code.  But I suggest checking out the code,
as
I'm always working on improving it.

hth,

Mario

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Thomas Riefle <
ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> efficiently configure, manage, and operate all of your security controls
> from a single console and one unified framework. Download a free trial.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/alienvault_d2d

Mario Steele
Fleet Captain
CO - Geo 99