Forum: Ruby Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

Bc6d88907ce09158581fbb9b469a35a3?d=identicon&s=25 james_b (Guest)
Request for Article Submissions

Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

The first issue of Ruby Code & Style hit the Web just before RubyConf
2005, and it's time to get back in gear and roll out the next one.

Ruby Code & Style is a free peer-reviewed on-line journal created by and
for the Ruby community.

We focus on bringing high-quality articles, written by Rubyists all over
the world, showcasing the strengths of Ruby and the ingenuity of its
users in solving real-life, non-trivial problems.

We're looking for technical Ruby articles primarily geared toward
experienced Ruby developers.  Submissions are peer reviewed by our
remarkable advisory board, which includes eminent members of the Ruby
community.

This is an opportunity to share your knowledge and experience with
fellow Rubyists, and a unique chance to have your work vetted by some of
the best Ruby minds around.

While the first issue offered three articles, we're looking now at
publishing work as it becomes available and suitable for release.  This
should improve the overall turnaround time, and help keep the zine fresh
and exciting.

Ruby Code & Style:
   http://www.artima.com/rubycs/index.html

About RC&S:
   http://www.artima.com/rubycs/about.html

Some technical details on article submissions:
   http://www.artima.com/rubycs/writeforus.html

If you have any questions, please contact me at:

ruby.code.and.style@gmail.com

James Britt
Editor-in-Chief
Ruby Code & Style
Ff63c03fd68754adbadd2c6314646bef?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Guindon (agorilla)
On 12/3/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Request for Article Submissions
>
> Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
request a specific article.

I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL.  Seems
Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not sure
if he's finished it yet.

I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby makes
building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for the
topic.

Any volunteers?  Are there articles out there, and I just haven't found
them?
Fe9b2d0628c0943af374b2fe5b320a82?d=identicon&s=25 Eero Saynatkari (rue)
on 2005-12-14 22:45
Bill Guindon wrote:
> On 12/3/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>> Request for Article Submissions
>>
>> Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
>>

> Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
> request a specific article.
>
> I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL.  Seems
> Austin Ziegler had mentioned that he had started work on one, not sure
> if he's finished it yet.
>
> I see a lot of DSL's out there, and a lot of talk about how Ruby makes
> building DSL's easier, but no comprehensive tutorial/overview for the
> topic.
>
> Any volunteers?  Are there articles out there, and I just haven't found
> them?

Jim Weirich held a (reportedly very good) presentation on DSLs
at RubyConf2005. At least Ryan Davis is hosting a PDF version:

  http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/RubyConf2005.html

Bill Guindon wrote:
> On 12/3/05, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>
>>Request for Article Submissions
>>
>>Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.
>>

> Don't know if you ever got any replies to this, but I'd like to
> request a specific article.

The response was nothing close to what I had hoped.  But I, too, would
like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

James Britt

On 12/14/05, Eero Saynatkari <ruby-forum-reg@mailinator.com> wrote:
> > I'd love to see an article about using Ruby to build a DSL.  Seems
> Jim Weirich held a (reportedly very good) presentation on DSLs
> at RubyConf2005. At least Ryan Davis is hosting a PDF version:
>
>   http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/RubyConf2005.html

Excellent, thanks for the link.
Made me go dig up the videos, the two should go well together.
http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/12/01/rubyconf-fi...

My request still stands though -- the more info the merrier.
97e3d8ba68b082414cc3438d15c9d6e2?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Evans (Guest)
I would also like very much to see a good tutorial on building DSLs
in Ruby. Jim Weirich's talk was a good talk, but I am still missing
some things.

Bob Evans
2a0f7bd2c54fbc44329d69555b96f1c5?d=identicon&s=25 Kev Jackson (Guest)

> The response was nothing close to what I had hoped.  But I, too, would
> like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

I'd like to contribute, but I'm so bogged down here right now that I
won't have time to write anything until at least next (solar) year.
Besides I'm a relative newbie, so my 'code & style' is probably not the
best - still I'd be happy to help

Kev
Eb9493c94d8db9887e5f15284d2c767f?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
In article <43A093D9.4040805@neurogami.com>,
James Britt  <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
>> request a specific article.
>
>The response was nothing close to what I had hoped.  But I, too, would
>like to see a good technical article on DSLs.

I'd like to 'sign up' to do an article on creating DSLs with Ruby,
though I
can't really start working on something like that until after
mid-February
(after my thesis defense :).  Also, I'm not sure that the two DSLs I've
created
using Ruby (RHDL - Ruby Hardware Description Language and QDL- Quantum
Design
Language) have enough mainstream appeal, so I'd probably have to come up
with
some other example DSL.

Phil
457cf540784a12ba2f30e06565a2c189?d=identicon&s=25 Hugh Sasse (Guest)
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Phil Tomson wrote:

> using Ruby (RHDL - Ruby Hardware Description Language and QDL- Quantum Design
> Language) have enough mainstream appeal, so I'd probably have to come up with

What's  QDL about?  Anything to do with statecharts like
http://www.quantum-leaps.com/
perhaps?
> some other example DSL.
>
> Phil