Forum: IronRuby Cleaning up of the Source Tree - Removal of Redundant files

48bf247037f46e594599b6a2c9532b66?d=identicon&s=25 Alistair Bush (Guest)
As ive already mentioned there are currently (within Runtime at least) a
large
number of *.cs files that are not included in any csproj files.  These
files seem
to implement classes that already exist within System.* dll's.

There also seem to be some *Build*csproj files.  Are these maintained?
If not,
we should clean them up as well.

Are we able to clean up all those redundant files please.  I will
provide a
patch during the weekend for it but currently im only looking at DLR
(that the
patch will only cover Runtime/*)

Could we also introduce a policy that in future if we remove a file from
project it also gets deleted (assuming you are removing it from all
projects).

Thanks

Alistair.
Cb51033949ffccd982ae32c9f890f25a?d=identicon&s=25 Tomas Matousek (Guest)
Yes, we shouldn't have any .cs files that are not included in any
.csproj. I would be surprised if there were too many of them but there
might be some. Feel free to send a patch that deletes them.

Microsoft.Scripting.Core directory includes DLR v1.0 that shipped in
.NET 4.0 in System.Core. We still need these for Windows Phone 7 builds
though (Silverlight3 configuration).

I removed *.build.csproj files last week. I don't see any now:
https://github.com/ironruby/ironruby/tree/master/R...

Did you sync to the latest version of the repo?

Tomas
48bf247037f46e594599b6a2c9532b66?d=identicon&s=25 Alistair Bush (Guest)
> g/
>
> Did you sync to the latest version of the repo?

Ah sorry.   Must have seem them a while ago and didn't realise they had
been
removed :)

So....

Question 1:   Microsoft.Scripting.Core.csproj contains a "reference"
(<Content>) to System.Linq.Expressions.txt which is not located within
the
repository.   Im assuming this is safe to remove?

>From csproj

<ItemGroup>
    <Content Include="..\..
\System\Linq\Expressions\System.Linq.Expressions.txt">
      <Link>Ast\System.Linq.Expressions.txt</Link>
    </Content>
  </ItemGroup>

im sure more questions will follow...

Thanks

Alistair
48bf247037f46e594599b6a2c9532b66?d=identicon&s=25 Alistair Bush (Guest)
> > Yes, we shouldn't have any .cs files that are not included in any
> > .csproj. I would be surprised if there were too many of them but there
> > might be some. Feel free to send a patch that deletes them.

see here https://github.com/alistair/ironruby/tree/cleanup

the cleanup commit directly

https://github.com/alistair/ironruby/commit/7ea7f1...

> So....
>
> Question 1:   Microsoft.Scripting.Core.csproj contains a "reference"
> (<Content>) to System.Linq.Expressions.txt which is not located within the
> repository.   Im assuming this is safe to remove?

I assumed this was to be removed and have committed it into the above
branch.
[1] I also added build.sh files within that branch that just document
the
xbuild commands I used to test compile.  That commit can be safely
ignored
(and probably should be).  I only tested the Runtime directory projects
and
only with Debug config.   But im pretty confident it shouldn't have
broken the
Silverlight builds.

[1]
https://github.com/alistair/ironruby/commit/8c3487...