Forum: Ruby Learning Ruby Hackfest Hosted by new_haven.rb this Friday.

31e038e4e9330f6c75ccfd1fca8010ee?d=identicon&s=25 gregory.t.brown (Guest)
The New Haven Ruby Brigade is putting on a mini Hackfest this friday
evening.

Our goal is to pair up newbies with more experienced Rubyists and work
our way through a RubyQuiz.   Before we start, a few of us will be
giving a quick tutorial session, and then afterwards, we're going to
compare solutions and talk about style and implementation and all that
good stuff.

For anyone interested, this is going to take place on this Friday,
November 18th and plans to run from 7:30pm to 'whenever we're done'

It will be at Innovation Software in North Haven, CT, though a few of
us might meet for a quick bite to eat in New Haven beforehand.

For directions to the place and a chance to RSVP, head over to:
http://newhavenrubyists.org:2500/mainpage/show/Upc...

Feel free to email me on or off list with any questions!

-Greg
4299e35bacef054df40583da2d51edea?d=identicon&s=25 james (Guest)
On Nov 16, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:

> Our goal is to pair up newbies with more experienced Rubyists and work
> our way through a RubyQuiz.

[snip]

> Feel free to email me on or off list with any questions!

Will the solutions be posted to the list so we can all learn from them?

James Edward Gray II
800e63992b25e6d1cf824d45d98b8ccc?d=identicon&s=25 codecraig (Guest)
Time to setup netmeeting (or equivalent) so those of us outside of New
Haven can 'attend'.

(request coming from Maryland)
On 11/16/05, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2005, at 11:45 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:

> Will the solutions be posted to the list so we can all learn from them?

Yes.
4d7bf65b4675b3e9575617929ab123f1?d=identicon&s=25 novakps (Guest)
> Time to setup netmeeting (or equivalent) so those of us outside of New
> Haven can 'attend'.
>
> (request coming from Maryland)

Forget equivalent, let's shoot a little higher than that.  ;>)

We've toyed with this sort of idea in the past, anyone have an opinion
on the best way to get enough netmeeting-like functionality without a
netmeeting server?  How about VNC  + IM + Skype?
9d0c4e1ee48f3e5a57388eafcb22abcb?d=identicon&s=25 ruby_talk (Guest)
Paul Novak wrote:

>We've toyed with this sort of idea in the past, anyone have an opinion
>on the best way to get enough netmeeting-like functionality without a
>netmeeting server?  How about VNC  + IM + Skype?

I would love to virtually attend, though my schedule precludes it.  (My
team currently is currently delirious with Demo Fever.)

My experience with Skype in the past has been that it falls down at
about 5 simultaneous users when the users are on consumer-grade
broadband (~1Mbit/s).

Good luck!  Share your experiences with the list!

-dB
1d6252c8fa730e6b9989db64df35103a?d=identicon&s=25 J. Merrill (j-merrill)
on 2005-11-18 18:05
novakps wrote:
>> Time to setup netmeeting (or equivalent) so those of us outside of New
>> Haven can 'attend'.
>>
>> (request coming from Maryland)
>
> Forget equivalent, let's shoot a little higher than that.  ;>)
>
> We've toyed with this sort of idea in the past, anyone have an opinion
> on the best way to get enough netmeeting-like functionality without a
> netmeeting server?  How about VNC  + IM + Skype?

www.gotomeeting.com -- free to try for 30 days, IIRC.  (And worth what
it costs after that too, if I'm allowed to recommend things that one
pays for on this list.)