Forum: Inkscape Are the performance improvements of 0.49 already in trunk?

9ac1de0d402dfdf47bd4c4d664156c64?d=identicon&s=25 Alexander (AddisMap) (Guest)
We are using Inkscape to edit SVGs generated by the Maperitive
OpenStreetMap
renderer. Those files are very complex and Inscape is practially
unuseable in
the latest stable version.

We found on http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes/0.49
that
there are performance improvements upcoming. So we installed the package
from
the PPA 1:0.48+devel+10922+30~natty1. Build 10922 is the latest build in
the
trunk branch as I see.

But using this version, there were no performance improvements notable.

Are those announce performance improvements already in trunk or do be
have to
use some other branch?

Best Regards,
 Alexander
42bef25859ef5922853a8f2a7c7a4cef?d=identicon&s=25 Jasper van de Gronde (Guest)
On 25-01-12 14:34, Alexander (AddisMap) wrote:

> Are those announce performance improvements already in trunk or do be have to
> use some other branch?

They are, and in many cases they are considerable. However, obviously
your mileage may vary. Probably the best thing to do would be to post an
example of a file that you're using and describing what actions in
particular are very slow for you, then we can take a look to see what
the problem might be.
Jasper van de Gronde <th.v.d.gronde@...> writes:

> > Are those announce performance improvements already in trunk or do be have to
> > use some other branch?
>
> They are, and in many cases they are considerable. However, obviously
> your mileage may vary. Probably the best thing to do would be to post an
> example of a file that you're using and describing what actions in
> particular are very slow for you, then we can take a look to see what
> the problem might be.

I was hoping those improvements are still to come.

Here is one sample file:

http://downloads.ethiopia-map.com/misc/city-center...

Basically everything is slow. Opening. Panning. Zooming. Moving all
objects.
But I admit it is a complex file.
The computer that we are using is quite recent.

So whats to do?

On 26-01-12 14:03, Alexander (AddisMap) wrote:
> Basically everything is slow. Opening. Panning. Zooming. Moving all objects.
> But I admit it is a complex file.
> The computer that we are using is quite recent.
>
> So whats to do?

I gave it a quick try, and I wouldn't consider it particularly slow on
the system I'm on now, using Inkscape 0.48(!). On my system, showing the
entire drawing and zooming and panning around a bit never takes longer
than about three seconds per full redraw (very roughly measured by
counting in my head). Editing a path or dragging a small object is about
as smooth as it gets.

Do you get similar results? If so, can you indicate why and how this
causes problems for you? Perhaps there is a particular task you perform
often that makes the current level of speed problematic? If you get
fastly inferior performance, could you tell us a bit more about your
system? (Specs, OS, etc.)

In terms of immediate relief, try tweaking the cache size on the
"Rendering" page of the preferences for example (only possible in
trunk).
C53fc1a55a7e1d09adda245cf20e9ff0?d=identicon&s=25 Terry Brown (Guest)
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:03:48 +0000 (UTC)
Alexander (AddisMap) <alex@addismap.com> wrote:

> The computer that we are using is quite recent.

Seemed fine on my system,

Inkscape 0.48.2 r9819
Ubuntu 11.10 64 bit
6 Gb RAM, 3.4(?) GHz Quad Core AMD 64 bit

around 3 seconds for a page view redraw, as Jasper said.  Seems you're
not using any filters, no doubt it would slow down fast if you were.

Cheers -Terry
Aefd46e73e6b7449c5ce1ce0156797d2?d=identicon&s=25 ~suv (Guest)
On 26/01/2012 14:03, Alexander (AddisMap) wrote:

> I was hoping those improvements are still to come.
>
> Here is one sample file:
>
> http://downloads.ethiopia-map.com/misc/city-center...
>
> Basically everything is slow. Opening. Panning. Zooming. Moving all objects.
> But I admit it is a complex file.
> The computer that we are using is quite recent.

Tested on OS X Lion with 64bit builds, comparing 0.48.2 to r10922:

- Inkscape 0.48.2 (stable):
   Selecting large (clone of) group with many stroked paths  ok
   Editing (e.g. dragging a map symbol with the mouse)       ok
   Node-editing e.g. a contour line                          ok

- Inkscape 0.48+devel r10922 (trunk)
   Selecting large (clone of) group with many stroked paths  slower
   Editing (e.g. dragging a map symbol with the mouse)       very slow
   Node-editing e.g. a contour line                          slower

Probably, since the file has hundreds of stroked paths, working with it
(beyond mere viewing) using a recent build from trunk is affected by the
issue discussed in
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.inksca...

In my tests, it's not really practicable with Inkscape 0.48+devel r10922
to do such a basic operation like dragging a newly drawn square around
the canvas (with the mouse), nor e.g. any of the map symbols already
existing in the current drawing.

Node-editing existing large stroked paths seems less affected (slowed
down) by the new, preciser calculation of the visual bounding box, but
there is still a noticeable slow-down compared to 0.48.2.

Hiding layers with complex paths does not help to increase the
performance in current trunk (the slowdown still occurs).

Personally, I would recommend to stay with stable 0.48.2 for such files
for now (and hide layers when working on details). AFAICT the greatest
performance gains in current trunk are mainly for rendering of SVG
filter effects, and overall memory usage (much lower). I do hope that
the regression with (complex) stroked paths can be addressed before the
release of 0.49.

~suv
Existing account

No account? Register here.