Forum: RSpec Controller specs and default_url_options

69f395d682e398fac9d2ec66002586dd?d=identicon&s=25 Jérémie Horhant (titinux)
Hello,

I'm using Rails 3.1.3 with rspec-rails 2.8.1. I have a scope ':locale'
in routes.rb and I want to run controller and routing
specs. I'm aware of the problem with setting default_url_options in
application.rb controller so I apply the solution found in the last
comment on rspec issue #255 (
https://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails/issues/255
)

#./spec/support/default_locale.rb
class ActionView::TestCase::TestController
  def default_url_options(options={})
    { :locale => I18n.default_locale }

class ActionDispatch::Routing::RouteSet
  def default_url_options(options={})
    { :locale => I18n.default_locale }

#./spec/controllers/categories_controller_spec.rb
require "spec_helper"

describe CategoriesController do

  describe "GET index" do
    it "assigns all categories as @categories" do
      category = Factory :category

      get :index
      assigns(:categories).to_a.should eq([category])

This test fails with routing error but if I use "get :index,
locale: :fr" instead of just "get :index" the test pass.
This test is a example of controller spec but I have failing tests for
routing and request. (I have no view specs but
I'm pretty sure they would also fail)

I can't figure out where the problem come from and why the patch
doesn't solve it. Is there another thing to do ? (I just put the code
in ./spec/support/default_locale.rb and verify that it loads
correctly).

Thanks in advance.
On Jan 16, 2012, at 5:17 PM, Titinux wrote:

> class ActionView::TestCase::TestController
>
>      assigns(:categories).to_a.should eq([category])
> I can't figure out where the problem come from and why the patch
> doesn't solve it. Is there another thing to do ? (I just put the code
> in ./spec/support/default_locale.rb and verify that it loads
> correctly).
>
> Thanks in advance.

No guarantees here, but it's possible that
ActionView::TestCase::TestController is not loaded yet, in which case
its own definition of default_url_options would clobber yours when it
does get loaded. Try this instead:

ActionView::TestCase::TestController.class_eval do
  undef_method :default_url_options
  def default_url_options(options={})
    { :locale => I18n.default_locale }

ActionDispatch::Routing::RouteSet.class_eval do
  undef_method :default_url_options
  def default_url_options(options={})
    { :locale => I18n.default_locale }

If those classes aren't loaded yet, Rails will find and load them first
(via its autoload strategy) before invoking class_eval on them, thus
ensuring that you're replacing the existing methods rather than writing
methods that will later be replaced.

HTH,
David
69f395d682e398fac9d2ec66002586dd?d=identicon&s=25 Jérémie Horhant (titinux)

I used your code but it does not work either.

To eliminate the possibility of a problem coming from my application I
made a new Rails 3.1.3 app from scratch and scaffold Category stuff.

And the result is that view specs start working with either issue #255
solution or yours but controller, routing and request specs fails
whatever I try.

I've set a "binding.pry" just before "get :index" in the controller
spec to have a better vision of what's going on

ActionView::TestCase::TestController.new.default_url_options =>
{:locale=>:en}
ActionDispatch::Routing::RouteSet.new.default_url_options =>
{:locale=>:en}

So I think the patch does its job but "get :index" takes another path
and not use default_url_options from
ActionView::TestCase::TestController nor
ActionDispatch::Routing::RouteSet
1dd8dd631dc404110bca527115200e5d?d=identicon&s=25 Martin C. (martin_c94)
on 2012-01-19 17:45
Hi Jeremie,

I'm also using Rails 3.1.3 and rspec-rails 2.8.1 and I was in the same
situation as you: neither the rspec issue #255 or the proposed solutions
in this email thread solved my problems. But now I have something
working for me (and hopefully it will work for you too).

As I recently posted on Stackoverflow
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1987354/how-to-...
), here is the code I use to inject the locale in the controller's
params (which makes all my controller specs pass without explicitly
specifying the locale in each controller spec):

class ActionController::TestCase
  module Behavior
    def process_with_default_locale(action, parameters = nil, session =
nil, flash = nil, http_method = 'GET')
      parameters = { :locale => I18n.default_locale }.merge( parameters
|| {} )
      process_without_default_locale(action, parameters, session, flash,
http_method)
    end
    alias_method_chain :process, :default_locale

And here is the "cheat" I use to inject the locale in Rails's
assert_recognizes method (which makes all my routing specs pass without
explicitly specifying the locale in each routing spec):

module ActionDispatch::Assertions::RoutingAssertions
  def assert_recognizes_with_default_locale(expected_options, path,
extras={}, message=nil)
    expected_options = { :locale => I18n.default_locale.to_s
}.merge(expected_options || {} )
    assert_recognizes_without_default_locale(expected_options, path,
extras, message)
  end
  alias_method_chain :assert_recognizes, :default_locale
end

Stucking those two code snippets in my spec helper class means that I do
not need to change all my previous controller/routing specs during the
implementation of supporting multiple locales for my app.

Hope this helps,

Martin
Fc582698581884352e745d1d4c64699d?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Muheim (josh)
on 2012-11-12 16:07
Thanks for these very useful informations.

I found the titinux' first post to solve my problems with request specs,
and martin_c94's post to solve my controller specs problems.

Still, in the console, the url helpers need the locale explicitly set,
it seems:

[1] pry(main)> app.user_path User.first
ActionController::RoutingError: No route matches {:action=>"show",
:controller=>"users", :locale=>#<User _id: 509fc01d77bb1................

Interestingly, when executing the following code block (which is also
used to fix the problem with the request specs) within the console, it
works!

[2] pry(main)> class ActionDispatch::Routing::RouteSet
[2] pry(main)*   def default_url_options(options={})
[2] pry(main)*     { :locale => I18n.default_locale }
[2] pry(main)*   end
[2] pry(main)* end
=> nil
[3] pry(main)> app.user_path User.first
=> "/de/users/509fc01d77bb1e6a050000a0"

I'm not sure whether this would be a valid fix also for the console?? Do
you guys experience the same behavior??