Ternary associations

Hello all,

Does anybody know how I can handle ternary associations with rails ?
Could
you give me an example ?

Thank you.

Johan

Johan Duflost
Analyst Programmer
Belgian Biodiversity Platform ( http://www.biodiversity.be)
Belgian Federal Science Policy Office (http://www.belspo.be )
Tel:+32 2 650 5751 Fax: +32 2 650 5124

On 16.11.2005, at 12.38, johan duflost wrote:

Hello all,

Does anybody know how I can handle ternary associations with
rails ? Could you give me an example ?

Hi Johan,

Give the “association” a class of its own. I’m running out of good
examples (this one’s a bit on the cynical side) but here goes anyway:

Bride has_many :weddings
Groom has_many :weddings
Church has_many :weddings

Wedding
belongs_to :bride
belongs_to :groom
belongs_to :church

Here the wedding is the “association”. But as it’s also a class, it
is a lot more flexible than a simple association. And no, there is no
way to build a ternary (or any other n-ary, n>2) “dummy” relationship
á la has_and_belongs_to_many.

//jarkko

It’s a join table that links three tables. Often a join table links only
two
and all examples are based on this assumption.

model1_id model2_id model3_id additional_attribute1
additional_attribute2 …

Johan