Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: newbie - Apache problem two apps

60e38de043848f82392062088f191213?d=identicon&s=25 HOGANBP (Guest)
Heheheheh that can be a HUGE pain in the butt and it depends largely on
what OS you're using.  Most folks don't do it that way... They prefer to
use vhosts.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowtoDeplo...
OneMachine

Take a look around the wiki... A lot of these questions are answered
there.
998baab37c607466125c1235c1ad7006?d=identicon&s=25 Frank Rocco (frocco)
This seems to be a big pain as compared to php or jsp.
I can just place the app folder in the directory and call it.

I check ed on your link, but I do not understand how to get this
working.
Is Apache the only way on Windows?

Regards,

Frank Rocco
farocco@hotmail.com
7c4087d053eb02d099a17d91ba5e33b5?d=identicon&s=25 brianvh (Guest)
Frank Rocco wrote:
> This seems to be a big pain as compared to php or jsp.
> I can just place the app folder in the directory and call it.

True, but PHP and JSP is all about serving souped-up web pages. Rails is
about
building web-based applications, and things can be very different when
you cross
over that line (no matter how blurry PHP and JSP like to make it ;).

-Brian
2dd904ec5981c31e7bb7a5743a53caf8?d=identicon&s=25 Bruce Balmer (brucebalmer)
I was reading the documentation about ActiveRecord and this line
caught my eye

...which again gives Product#name and Product#name=(new_name)

Why is it that sometimes a dot notation is used and sometimes the #?

The same thing is true in css where they use

.blue for a class

and

#blue for an id.

Your help will help me digest my dinner.

bruce
01d7a451018ac15518f425078ef00c40?d=identicon&s=25 sitharus-rails (Guest)
On 2/12/2005, at 2:16 PM, Bruce Balmer wrote:

> I was reading the documentation about ActiveRecord and this line
> caught my eye
>
> ...which again gives Product#name and Product#name=(new_name)
>
> Why is it that sometimes a dot notation is used and sometimes the #?

By convention # indicates an instance method and . indicates a class
method, for example. Product.find(:all) indicates that this is valid
code, whereas Product#name shows that  you'll need to create a
Product instance first.

That's what I remember from the Pickaxe anyway.
--
Phillip Hutchings
phillip.hutchings@sitharus.com

On 2/12/2005, at 3:51 PM, Bruce Balmer wrote:

> Thanks Phillip.  My dinner is duly digested.  Perhaps I should pick
> up this pickaxe book.  Is it the free download off the web or is
> this something else. I bought Agile web development.  Happy to buy
> this if it will save you answering hundreds of questions from me.

You can get the Ruby 1.6 version from http://www.rubycentral.com/
book/ or pick up the latest from http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/
titles/ruby/index.html. I would definitely recommend it, it explains
some of the weirder constructs you see and why they work, they make a
lot more sense after that.