Forum: Ruby Fosdem : Developers Room, Presence

892a174c18182a2a3157e51cd071d1cf?d=identicon&s=25 riboulet (Guest)
hi everyone,

This mail will mostly interest europeans Rubyists/Railists, but others
are welcome to read it, answer and participate too :)

In next February the Sixth Fosdem (Free and OpenSource Developers'
European Meeting) will be held in Brussels, Belgium. Like each year
there is some special rooms for projects/communities (mozilla, drupal,
kde, gnome, python, openbsd, perl, linux, ...). A call for presence
has been made for next year :
http://www.fosdem.org/index/press/devrooms_call_fo... to
allow projects and communities to book a room.

Ruby and Rails are becoming more and more popular in Europe so I think
it could be great to have a developer room to allow lot of Rubyist to
see irl and talk/work/hack/whatever.

If nobody is already planning something (I didn't see anything in the
archives I can manage the thing receive emails and do the
communication with the Fosdem's guys.
For a start a wiki with few pages could do the thing and allow
everyone to tell when they want to come and if they want to do
something.

So I got few questions :
- is there anyone already planning something for Ruby or/and Rails ?
- who could be interested in : doing talks, just coming to hack, etc ...
?
- who plans to go to the fosdem ?

As explained in the Fosdem Call for Presence we could book a room to
allow us to have a rendez vous point, a place to idle, talk, hack, etc
... but for that we need to have decided if :
- we want a room
- we want a room for half a day, a whole day, the two days ?
- how many we are going to be

So ? What do you think ?
Any help, and remarks are welcomed.

--
Thom/ange
French F/OSS developer/administrator
On 15 Nov 2005, at 18:33, Thomas Riboulet wrote:

> - who plans to go to the fosdem ?

I'm thinking about it. If I still have a job then and have the money
(no, really), I'll almost certainly be going along.

> As explained in the Fosdem Call for Presence we could book a room to
> allow us to have a rendez vous point, a place to idle, talk, hack, etc
> ... but for that we need to have decided if :
> - we want a room
> - we want a room for half a day, a whole day, the two days ?
> - how many we are going to be

I've not been to FOSDEM before, but the idea of having rooms for
particular groups feels a little cliquey. Do we get a room across the
corridor from the Java guys and next door to the Python guys? Do we
have running battles in the corridors? What if I want to hang out
with both the Java guys and the Ruby guys, do I get to be an outcast,
ousted by both? OK, I'm being facetious, but it just feels a little
against the spirit of inclusion... still, if there is a Ruby/RoR
room, I'm sure I'll drop by and get stuck into whatever is going on
in there. :-)

See you there! (If I still have a job...)

--
Paul Robinson - http://iconoplex.com
"Cogito, ergo sum." -- Descartes
892a174c18182a2a3157e51cd071d1cf?d=identicon&s=25 riboulet (Guest)
> On 15 Nov 2005, at 18:33, Thomas Riboulet wrote:
>
> > - who plans to go to the fosdem ?
>
> I'm thinking about it. If I still have a job then and have the money
> (no, really), I'll almost certainly be going along.

ok, great.

--snip--
> I've not been to FOSDEM before, but the idea of having rooms for
> particular groups feels a little cliquey. Do we get a room across the
> corridor from the Java guys and next door to the Python guys? Do we
> have running battles in the corridors? What if I want to hang out
> with both the Java guys and the Ruby guys, do I get to be an outcast,
> ousted by both? OK, I'm being facetious, but it just feels a little
> against the spirit of inclusion... still, if there is a Ruby/RoR
> room, I'm sure I'll drop by and get stuck into whatever is going on
> in there. :-)

you can hang out where ever you want and with who you want. There is
lot of place to stay and hang out there.

The main idea behind the Developers' Room is simply to give projects
and communities a rendez vous point and a ''calm'' place to work/hack.
Generally there is a black/white board where you can work with others,
plenty of tables and power sockets, etc ...

I really like Fosdem because I think it's a nice place to meet irl
other people, hang out a bit , work, get things moving, learning about
projects, etc ...

> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Thom/ange
On 16 Nov 2005, at 11:06, Thomas Riboulet wrote:

> you can hang out where ever you want and with who you want. There is
> lot of place to stay and hang out there.

Yeah, I was looking at hotels - the Novotel is one I think I've
stayed in before and does an excellent breakfast, IIRC... :-)

Generally it sounds like a pretty chilled out event. Sounds fun. I'll
pack a water pistol just in case though...

> The main idea behind the Developers' Room is simply to give projects
> and communities a rendez vous point and a ''calm'' place to work/hack.
> Generally there is a black/white board where you can work with others,
> plenty of tables and power sockets, etc ...
>
> I really like Fosdem because I think it's a nice place to meet irl
> other people, hang out a bit , work, get things moving, learning about
> projects, etc ...

Yeah, that sounds cool. If others are going, I say we try and get
ourselves a working room and we hack around a bit. If it's just 'me
and thee', then I'm sure the bar will be able to hold our laptops.

I will try and get things booked in a couple of weeks, thereby
committing myself to going. ;-)

--
Paul Robinson - http://iconoplex.com
"Cogito, ergo sum." -- Descartes
892a174c18182a2a3157e51cd071d1cf?d=identicon&s=25 riboulet (Guest)
To make it easier I've setted up a wiki :
http://fosdem.librium.org