Forum: Ruby on Rails developing an engine

Eea3feaacbe44706164289d068d94828?d=identicon&s=25 petermichaux (Guest)

Anyone have any information about what makes developing an engine
different
than a normal slice of an app? The engines wiki hasn't made it there
yet.

http://rails-engines.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?ac...

Thanks,
Peter
Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 subimage interactive (Guest)
Was there any discussion on this I missed? I've been looking for similar
documentation.
We should have some documentation in place very soon. In the meantime,
the rdoc which comes with the Engines plugin itself should explain how
things work to a reasonable degree...

- james
E51c6ae07e72cf04ef869868cb8eca6e?d=identicon&s=25 Jake Janovetz (Guest)
on 2005-12-21 15:39
petermichaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone have any information about what makes developing an engine
> different
> than a normal slice of an app? The engines wiki hasn't made it there
> yet.

I'm interested in this sort of thing as well.  There are wiki entries
such as "acts_like_chicken" which may be cutesie for the insider group,
but have a long way to go for actually helping people as wiki entries
are intended to do.

Afterall, after reading it, it wasn't clear to me at all when and why I
would choose to use something like "acts_like_" techniques.  Call me
thick.

So, is there a page that describes reasonable scenarios where extension
techniques such as engines and modules should be used?  Or are engines
modules?  These are the noob questions.  Not: "How can I make my app act
like a chicken?"

   Jake