IronRuby's Marshal.dump doesn't work with CLR types, or ruby types backed by a CLR type

Backstory: I’m trying to use DRb for some in-house utility code. DRb
itself seems to work fine, but I found that when I misspelled a method
name, instead of reporting back a NoMethodError, the IronRuby process
crashed immediately to the console.

This is using a relatively recent build of IronRuby from Github

Steps to repro:

e = RuntimeError.new ‘xyz’
dumped = Marshal.dump e
e2 = Marshal.load dumped

I would expect e2 to be equivalent to e, but instead the process crashes
with this exception

mscorlib:0:in _InvokeConstructor': Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (System::Reflection::TargetInvocationException) from mscorlib:0:inInvokeConstructor’
from mscorlib:0:in Invoke' from (ir):1:inload’
from (ir):1

Note: This also happens with any CLR type eg System::DateTime.

I looked through IronRuby’s marshalling code, and it appears that the
behaviour of Marshal.dump and Marshal.load don’t align properly.

Marshal.dump is it’s own self-contained set of code which essentially
writes data to a BinaryStream.
For ruby types, it ends up writing a series of values in a format that
looks a lot like what I remember CRuby’s marshal writing.
For CLR types, this just writes the Type name and no instance data (clr
objects don’t have ruby instance variables after all)

Marshal.load does 2 things:

  1. Reads any ruby instance variables out into an Attributes dictionary
  2. Uses reflection to find any non-public Constructor(SerializationInfo,
    StreamingContext) and invoke it.

For ruby types, this finds the protected RubyClass(SerializationInfo,
StreamingContext) ctor, which calls RubyOps.DeserializeObject, which in
turn reads the attributes dictionary and it’s all fine.
For CLR types, this finds whatever constructor might exist for the CLR
object, which does whatever it does for that type.

Unfortunately because the data that is getting passed into the CLR
deserialization constructor came from Marshal.dump which has no
knowledge
whatsoever of CLR serialization, the whole thing crashes.

I’m no expert on CLR serialization, so I’d really appreciate some
comments
on this, as I’m not sure what to do here.

As far as I can guess however, I can see two solutions:

  1. Implement Marshal.dump on top of the CLR serialization code so it
    matches Marshal.load and should therefore be able to handle CLR types
    too.

  2. Don’t allow marshalling of CLR types, and put some special-case code
    into any Ruby types that are backed by CLR types (such as Exception) so
    these at least can be serialized?

I’m going to have a crack at #1, but I’m not sure how successful this
is.

Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Orion

I think we should NOT serialize non-Ruby types for now. The
implementation isn’t quite working so I’d prefer we delete all code that
deals with ISerializable, clean up the marshaller and if .NET
serialization is needed in future implement it fully and correctly.

Marshal.dump has to output exactly the same data as CRuby implementation
(for Ruby objects). Otherwise you won’t be able to read data serialized
by CRuby in IronRuby and vice versa.

Tomas

[...]

For dealing with Clr-backed objects such as Exception should we just
create special cases in the Marshal to dump and load them? Is there any
way I can find out what other ruby objects are actually CLR objects
other
than Exception types and the basic int, double, float types?

My experiments with extending the marshal to dump CLR types were
interesting.
I can dump and load pure CLR types such as System::DateTime, and in
theory
it should also work seamlessly for CLR classes that have been “extended”
by ruby.
The code is quite simple, it just extends the marshaller and add a few
extra nonstandard type codes for CLR primitive types such as
System::Int64
that can’t be dealt with by the ruby marshaller.

You wouldn’t be able to unmarshal a Pure or extended CLR object from
CRuby
as it wouldn’t understand these extra type codes but that doesn’t make
any
sense anyway.

Because the marshal extensions preserve all the CLR information for
exceptions, an IronRuby Exception won’t be able to be loaded by CRuby,
so
to keep compatibility there would have to be special cases for
Exceptions
(and any other builtin CLR objects that masquerade as ruby objects)
whether the ISerializable code stays or goes.

Are there any unit tests or specs for the marshalling? There doesn’t
seem
to be any mention of it in IronRuby.Tests.csproj, but I haven’t looked
through all the rubyspec stuff yet.

From: Tomas M. [email protected]
To: “[email protected][email protected]
Date: 26/10/2011 03:42 p.m.
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] IronRuby’s Marshal.dump doesn’t work
with CLR types, or ruby types backed by a CLR type
Sent by: [email protected]

[...]

Ironruby-core mailing list

I’ve made some changes and have a pull request on Github:

The changeset is

https://github.com/gglresearchanddevelopment/ironlanguages-main/commit/630995eca293b5b0531e821b76bab7e15c4506f6

What I did:

  1. Ran load_spec and dump_spec under
    Languages\Ruby\Tests\mspec\rubyspec\core\marshal
  • Lots and lots of things failed
  1. Fixed all the failures (except for one, which I can’t quite figure
    out).
  • The majority of this work was around writing string encodings when
    marshalling. IronRuby now writes string encodings as per MRI 1.9.2

    • I didn’t make Marshal.Read understand string encodings yet
      though.
      The dump-with-encoding loads the string with no error, it just won’t
      pick
      up the encoding
  • IronRuby didn’t handle loading of self-referential arrays, hashes
    and
    objects. I added some specs for these and fixed the Marshal.Load code

  • It appears the behaviour of calling Marshal.load passing a proc
    changed between ruby 1.8 and 1.9. It now does what MRI 1.9.2 does

  1. Removed the code path from Marshal.load that was using .NET
    serialization.
  • Most things worked fine, except the ruby Range CLR class which was
    using the .NET serialization interface.
  • As the Ruby range class is immutable we can’t rely on instance
    variable
    setting, and unfortunately range just gets dumped as Object (no special
    token) so it doesn’t really fit into the Marshal.load structure :frowning:
  • I added a new interface: IRubySpecialMarshalling. the range CLR class
    implements this, and Marshal.load checks for it as an alternative way of
    setting instance data.
    • This has the bonus of letting us dump subclasses of Range.
      Previously this did not work.
  1. Added code and specs for basic marshalling of Exception types.
    Currently only Exception.message and Exception.backtrace are supported,
    but this covers the majority of use cases for me.
    • Added a special case in Marshal.Write to write the exception data
    • As Exception is like Range (can’t set instance variables, can’t use
      .NET serialization) It uses IRubySpecialMarshalling through a proxy
      object. The proxy object is required because I can’t change the CLR
      exception class to include my interface -:frowning:

Some notes:

  • I’m not particularly happy with the way IRubySpecialMarshalling is
    working, but I’m not sure of a better way to do it.
  • Using reflection to set Exception.message sucks, but the requirement
    unmarshal self-referential objects basically means you cannot
    Marshal.load
    an object’s attributes an object before you create the object itself.
    This
    is probably no big deal in CRuby :frowning:
  • The single failing marshal test is “loads an Array with proc”. I can’t
    figure out what the logic behind calling the proc is as it gets really
    complicated with lots of nested types. If anyone could shed some light
    on
    it that would be great.
  • Where encodings have aliases, IronRuby selects a string’s encoding by
    asking windows what to use based on a Codepage number. Because MRI uses
    different bit of logic, MRI and IronRuby can abitrarily select different
    aliases. EG:

s = “foo”
s.force_encoding “cp850”
s.force_encoding “ibm850” # alternative which has the same effect
puts s.encoding => “CP850” in MRI, “ibm850” in IronRuby

I don’t suppose this matters much, but it did make the specs harder to
write :frowning:

Anyway, any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks, Orion

[...]

I’ve updated the pull request as per Tomas’ code review comments.

  • Removed ISpecialRubyMarshalling interface in favour of keeping the
    code
    all in the Marshal
  • Only implement Exception#==, not === and eql?
  • Implement proper Exception comparison logic to match MRI
  • Change the Marshal#ReadObject code to special-case Exceptions and
    Ranges
    so we don’t need to use reflection to set Exception.message and range
    values (yay!)
  • Minor tweaks to some exception classes to pass a couple more Rubyspecs
    while I was at it

Thanks, Orion

[...]

I personally haven’t done any work on it since those last emails. I’m
away from work for the next week or so, so I can’t go and look it up
easily.

From my vague memories of the code, it shouldn’t be much work to get
it marshalling .NET objects that use the .NET Serialization API’s. I
had it working, I just needed to write extra code for .NET fundamental
types like Int64 which aren’t handled.
Nonserializable .NET objects are much harder however (maybe
impossible?).

I too was trying to get DRB to work, but the big issue with that is
that DRB uses ruby object id’s to keep track of different objects on
both sides of the connection. CRuby has a special format for object
id’s, and critically, you should never get duplicate object id’s.
IronRuby’s implementation of Object ID’s on the other hand is very
basic, and it’s quite easy to get duplicate object id’s, (completely
ruining DRb). I’d start with that :slight_smile:

Certainly, if you get DRb working, I’d be a grateful user of it :slight_smile:

Orion et al.,

I am curious if there has been any forward momentum on addressing CLR
object serialization in IronRuby. I’m currently porting some JRuby test
framework code that utilizes DRb as an interface to serialize Java
objects for test automation. We’d like to be able to accomplish the same
in Ironruby with CLR objects. Unfortunately, I am running into the above
issue when DRb uses Marshal.load and Marshal.dump to serialize CLR (and
CLR-backed) objects. Although there are many potential work-arounds, it
seems that the ideal scenario would be for Ironruby to competently
handle .NET family object serializations.

Although I will be implementing a work-around in the short-term, I’d be
interested in continuing this discussion. Any references you can provide
would be exceptionally useful.

Best regards,

James

Hi Orion,

Thanks for the useful feedback. In the interim, I am maintaining the
object on the DRb server-side and keeping interaction with the object
basic enough to maintain fairly easily. A rudimentary proxy, if you
will. Long term, though, I will follow-up on your starting points and
endeavor to get both marshaling and serializing working. I haven’t
run-across the object id issue that you mentioned with DRb, however I
believe this is by nature of the work around.

I’ll keep you in the loop as it progresses, it’s something that will
probably get put on the shelf for a week or two as I deal with more
straight-forward tasks first.

Cheers,

James

Orion E. wrote in post #1067985:

I personally haven’t done any work on it since those last emails. I’m
away from work for the next week or so, so I can’t go and look it up
easily.

From my vague memories of the code, it shouldn’t be much work to get
it marshalling .NET objects that use the .NET Serialization API’s. I
had it working, I just needed to write extra code for .NET fundamental
types like Int64 which aren’t handled.
Nonserializable .NET objects are much harder however (maybe
impossible?).

I too was trying to get DRB to work, but the big issue with that is
that DRB uses ruby object id’s to keep track of different objects on
both sides of the connection. CRuby has a special format for object
id’s, and critically, you should never get duplicate object id’s.
IronRuby’s implementation of Object ID’s on the other hand is very
basic, and it’s quite easy to get duplicate object id’s, (completely
ruining DRb). I’d start with that :slight_smile:

Certainly, if you get DRb working, I’d be a grateful user of it :slight_smile:

[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains منتدى انستي]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains العاب باربي الصينية]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains العاب باربي]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains العاب تلبيس باربي الدلوعه]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains منتديات عالم حواء]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains ازياء 2013]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains اكسسوارات 2013]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains مكياج 2013]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains تسريحات شعر 2013]
[HugeDomains.com العروس ومتطلباتها]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains فساتين للبيع]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains ديكورات 2013]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains منتديات الاسره والطفل]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains صحة الاسرة]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains صحة المرأة]
[HugeDomains.com صحة الطفل]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains العنايه بالجسم والبشره]
[HugeDomains.com عالم الحياة الزوجيه]
[HugeDomains.com صحة الحامل]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains زفات بنات 2013]
[HugeDomains.com صيحه الملابس]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains ارق العبايات لاجمل بنوتات]
[HugeDomains.com فساتين قصيره للبنات]
[HugeDomains.com جاكيتات شتوية]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains فساتين سهره تل]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains فساتين زفاف رامى قادى]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains صور جلابيات مغربية]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains صور جلابيات مغربية]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains موديلات مراييل]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains فساتين سهرات ايلي صعب]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains ازياء غراند]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains فساتين شتاء طويلة]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains ازياء سلفاتوري فيراغامو]
[HugeDomains.com فساتين سلفاتوري فيراغامو]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains عبايات المتحجبة]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains فساتين منوعة]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains بنطلونات ملونة]
[HugeDomains.com فساتين مخمل]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains الحجاب السعودي]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains فساتين بالفرو]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains فساتين ايتوال لابوتيك]
[HugeDomains.com تشكيلة جديده من عبايات خلييجي]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains بنطلونات سكيني الوان]
[HugeDomains.com جلابيات آخر موضة]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains جلابيات للمحجبات شيك]
[Anisaty.com is for sale | HugeDomains حقائب ماركة براد]
[HugeDomains.com صنادل باللون الفضى]
[HugeDomains.com شنط روعة للبنات]
[HugeDomains.com احدث شنط]
[HugeDomains.com اكسيسوارات مجوهرات]