Forum: Ruby on Rails weird errors with self-installed ruby 1.8.3 on Mac OS X 10.4

Fd1769776698da69ffd5bdda094d8581?d=identicon&s=25 jon.evans (Guest)
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone has seen this error before and can advise me.

I was having problems with Switchtower hanging, and I found a blog
posting which pointed the finger at Apple's install of Ruby 1.8.2
(?).  I downloaded ruby-1.8.3.tar.gz, compiled it with --enable-
shared, and installed it under /usr/local.

I went through /usr/bin and /usr/lib and archived away all of the
Apple bins and libs.  Then I installed RubyGems.  The install of  the
rake gem went fine, but the rails install bombed out with a segfault.

I have found that it crashes while installing a gem, but not every
time.  For example, here I install activesupport OK, then uninstall
it, then try again, at which point it fails:

> Successfully uninstalled activesupport version 1.2.3
> line 125 column 49
>
> Before reporting this, could you check that the file
> you're documenting compiles cleanly--RDoc is not a
> full Ruby parser, and gets confused easily if fed
> invalid programs.
>
> The internal error was:
>
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (TypeError)
>     wrong instance allocation

The error message changes.  Here's another example:

> RDoc failure in lib/active_support/core_ext/time/calculations.rb at
> or around line 29 column 56
>
> Before reporting this, [...]
>
> The internal error was:
>
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NameError)
>     uninitialized constant RubyToken::TkReading2TokenNoKey

The computer is a PowerBook with 1.5GB RAM.  Every other application
works fine and the machine is stable, so I'm fairly certin it's not a
hardware problem (my first thought when I got the segfault).

I tried the preview of 1.8.4 with the same result.

plinth:~ evansj$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-10-29) [powerpc-darwin8.3.0]
plinth:~ evansj$ gem -v
0.8.11

Apple's ruby worked great, apart from switchtower.

Jon

On 30 Nov 2005, at 21:08, Jon Evans wrote:

> I'm hoping someone has seen this error before and can advise me.

Obviously I'm in a minority here...

For the benefit of Google, I seem to now have a stable system after
configuring ruby like this:

./configure --enable-shared --enable-pthread

Without the --enable-pthread, it seemed to work fine but I got those
weird errors thrown by gem install.  Also, switchtower can now
connect to my server over ssh (it used to hang).

Jon
4863acdbb3a0aefc9c6d8675fdbfab8a?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Brinker (Guest)
I have been experiencing this same issue I am going to reconfig ruby
in hopes of making it better... I too am on Tiger with a hand built
ruby/gems/fcgi

So, I feel your pain :)
Chris