Forum: Ruby Ruby/GD2 1.0

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
114892d0cdbc61d4e686dac70495a22b?d=identicon&s=25 rob (Guest)
on 2005-11-15 02:02
(Received via mailing list)
Greetings,

I've taken some of the suggestions here and made improvements to my
Ruby/GD2 library.

First, the gem:

     ftp://ftp.mars.org/pub/ruby/gd2-1.0.gem

Some of the changes:

   - I took Matz's feelings to heart and realized the weirdness with
Palette#find! is probably because Palette#find clashed with
Enumerable#find. So, I removed both methods and added Palette#resolve
instead. (Palette#find used to be just an alias for Palette#exact.)

   - I've gone through and documented most of the library with RDoc,
except for the Canvas class. I'm still working on this and may make
some further improvements before finalizing the API.

   - I added Image.import and Image#export methods. These accept a
filename and use the filename extension to determine the image format.

   - The Image#jpeg_data, Image#png_data, et al. methods are now just
Image#jpeg, Image#png, etc.

I left the non-destructive image operations alone, because they
aren't significantly more expensive than the destructive versions.
(Either version must create a new gd image internally.)

Thanks for everyone's feedback, which I continue to welcome.

I have one question: what is the process for including gems in the
remote repository?

Cheers,
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 tom (Guest)
on 2005-11-15 15:47
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 10:00 +0900, Rob Leslie wrote:
> I have one question: what is the process for including gems in the
> remote repository?

I think you're hitting this:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/...

You may want to rebuild the Gem with Ruby 1.8.2...

Yours,

Tom
D8cb8c8cd40ddf0cd05241443a591868?d=identicon&s=25 duane.johnson (Guest)
on 2005-11-15 16:27
(Received via mailing list)
On Nov 15, 2005, at 7:47 AM, Tom Copeland wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 10:00 +0900, Rob Leslie wrote:
>> I have one question: what is the process for including gems in the
>> remote repository?
>

> I think you're hitting this:
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/...
>
> You may want to rebuild the Gem with Ruby 1.8.2...
>

Perhaps your question is more basic in nature?  If you're wondering
how to host your gem so that anyone can do a magical "gem install
<your-gem-here>" command, you need to create a RubyForge project by
going to rubyforge.org.  Then when you upload your .gem file, mark it
explicitly as a "gem" and RubyForge will do the rest for you (there's
a drop-down box for file types).

Duane Johnson
(canadaduane)
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 tom (Guest)
on 2005-11-15 16:33
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 00:26 +0900, Duane Johnson wrote:
> >
> > You may want to rebuild the Gem with Ruby 1.8.2...
> >
>
> Perhaps your question is more basic in nature?  If you're wondering
> how to host your gem so that anyone can do a magical "gem install
> <your-gem-here>" command, you need to create a RubyForge project by
> going to rubyforge.org.  Then when you upload your .gem file, mark it
> explicitly as a "gem" and RubyForge will do the rest for you (there's
> a drop-down box for file types).

Ah, quite right, thanks Duane!  I skipped right over the obvious that
time...

Thanks,

tom
114892d0cdbc61d4e686dac70495a22b?d=identicon&s=25 rob (Guest)
on 2005-11-15 17:12
(Received via mailing list)
On Nov 15, 2005, at 7:26 AM, Duane Johnson wrote:
>
> Perhaps your question is more basic in nature?  If you're wondering
> how to host your gem so that anyone can do a magical "gem install
> <your-gem-here>" command, you need to create a RubyForge project by
> going to rubyforge.org.  Then when you upload your .gem file, mark
> it explicitly as a "gem" and RubyForge will do the rest for you
> (there's a drop-down box for file types).

Thanks!

If all went well, there should now be a gd2 gem available to all.
560c83ff6b6600e39315a1cf75b7c229?d=identicon&s=25 tom (Guest)
on 2005-11-15 20:00
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 01:09 +0900, Rob Leslie wrote:
> > Perhaps your question is more basic in nature?  If you're wondering
> > how to host your gem so that anyone can do a magical "gem install
> > <your-gem-here>" command, you need to create a RubyForge project by
> > going to rubyforge.org.  Then when you upload your .gem file, mark
> > it explicitly as a "gem" and RubyForge will do the rest for you
> > (there's a drop-down box for file types).
>
> Thanks!
>
> If all went well, there should now be a gd2 gem available to all.

Yup!

================
$ gem list --remote gd2

*** REMOTE GEMS ***
Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org

gd2 (1.0)
    Ruby interface to gd 2 library.
================

Yours,

Tom
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.