Forum: Ruby on Rails Switchtower on a single server?

81194a50c0f9bd95d7832a77fdf371bd?d=identicon&s=25 cool_screen_name90001 (Guest)
Right now, I just have a single server with the database, web server,
etc. Is there any advantage
to using Switchtower? I upgraded a Rails directory from one version to
another and that was
somewhat tedious - if Switchtower helps with that, it's probably worth
using (though I thought I
read that future upgrades would be easier, or perhaps I need to use
svn).

thanks
csn

ST will not help you during the next upgrade process.  If you're on
0.14 now, you can rest easy knowing that the next upgrade will be
much easier as the current version keeps your customizations separate
from the core code.

As for ST, I use it in a single server environment and have found it
quite useful and it's great to know it will scale.  Since my website
will eventually have 1.5 million users a day (I got my fingers
crossed! :), I will eventually need ST's capabilities to deploy to an
N box environment.

HTH.
82476266af9d460415d8f1fc16bb54ed?d=identicon&s=25 Jarkko Laine (jarkko)
On 29.11.2005, at 23.38, CSN wrote:

> Right now, I just have a single server with the database, web
> server, etc. Is there any advantage
> to using Switchtower? I upgraded a Rails directory from one version
> to another and that was
> somewhat tedious - if Switchtower helps with that, it's probably
> worth using (though I thought I
> read that future upgrades would be easier, or perhaps I need to use
> svn).

Switchtower will definitely help you. The most obvious benefit is
that you can push your code changes to the production server and
restart the lightie (or apache) with a single command, and rollback
the change with a single command as well if something went wrong.

//jarkko