Forum: wxRuby ruby to solve a physics question

Ea84a96c2f54e17104168415ee3cc6a5?d=identicon&s=25 thiess cunningham (tc1185)
on 2011-09-14 02:34
I am trying to solve one of my graduate level physics problems with
ruby...
Here is what I have so far...

a6=0.0
for n1 in -10..10
  for n2 in -10..10
     for n3 in -10..10
       if n1!=0 and n2!=0 and n3!=0
       p=Math.sqrt(n1**2+n2**2+n3**2+n1*n2/1.414+n1*n3/1.41+n2*n3/1.414)
       a6+=(1/p)**6
puts a6

What I've got here is a 10x10x10 face-centered cubic lattice of atoms.
What I want to do is find this constant a6= sum(1/Pij)**6.  From a
starting point I want the distance to every other atom location point in
the structure, meanwhile inversing and power to the sixth each distance.
Then I want to add all those up.  This should return 14.4????
85991f138ede6236f35eb98da22b7b01?d=identicon&s=25 Marvin Gülker (quintus)