Forum: Ruby Re: GUI IDE for Ruby

464cc67eb336e3066905aef12ee83cb8?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick.Bennett (Guest)
> > Thanks Kyle. It looks nice but it's pricey.
>
> the professional version is. the personal version seems to
> have an "average" shareware type price...

From ActiveState's website:
" * Non-commercial use is defined as tasks for which you are not paid.
If you are using Komodo as part of your job, you must purchase Komodo
Professional."

Well, that probably covers many of us.  So, yes, it's still *very*
pricey.
For an IDE that only supports a few scripting languages, it's *way* too
expensive.
Something like Arachno Ruby or Eclipse + RDT or RadRails probably makes
more sense.

Patrick Bennett
3a0d61d465c296f7f291b5bd09c90a4a?d=identicon&s=25 snowzone5 (Guest)
Bennett, Patrick wrote on 11/29/2005 10:42 AM:
>>From ActiveState's website:
> " * Non-commercial use is defined as tasks for which you are not paid.
> If you are using Komodo as part of your job, you must purchase Komodo
> Professional."

[shrug] most shareware programs people register they use just for
themselves.

> For an IDE that only supports a few scripting languages, it's *way* too
> expensive.

it supports 3 of the scripting languages i happen to use (ruby, perl,
tcl)

> Something like Arachno Ruby

i've registered this also. tend to go back and forth between the two.
although for serious debugging i use arachno...

cream for vim might be an option for the ruby newbie
D61a2db96e73acf66b0b18688a39ecfb?d=identicon&s=25 obiefernandez (Guest)
I asked Sergey Dmitriev of JetBrains about the prospects of a Ruby IDE
a couple weeks ago. JetBrains is the company that makes IntelliJ
(hands-down the best IDE for Java).

He replied that they have considered the possibility and are watching
the success of Ruby and Rails closely to determine when it will make
sense for them commercially. Regardless, they are well under way
turning IntelliJ IDEA into a platform that supports non-Java
languages. If any of you have seen IDEA's support for JavaScript and
CSS then you know what I'm talking about.

I uninstalled the JDK months ago but I'm still using IDEA to do Ruby and
Rails.

Obie
C6d58eec081d1bae68945e01342ed277?d=identicon&s=25 rob.02004 (Guest)
I'm actively working on the free software jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin,
licensed under the GPL. If some other programmers got behind this
project we could have a really neat Ruby editor with many features
comparable to those available for Java with Intellij IDEA.

The jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin has already got these features:
 type-based code completion
 integrated RDoc viewer
 code folding
 structure and syntax highlighting
 syntax error checking
 quote and bracket completion
 auto indent and insert end
 file structure navigation popup
 structure browser
 progressive selection
 edit history navigation

Check it out at: http://jedit.org/ruby/

Rob
032840ea43aa284451ad8d19b3a32ddb?d=identicon&s=25 Mail (Guest)
Rob . wrote:
> I'm actively working on the free software jEdit Ruby Editor Plugin,
> licensed under the GPL. If some other programmers got behind this
> project we could have a really neat Ruby editor with many features
> comparable to those available for Java with Intellij IDEA.
I am no advanced programmer but I use THIS plugin on jEdit and Eclipse +
ruby plugin as editors.

I think developing those two plugins for these two great x-plattform
developing enviroments is essential and I thank you for doing this.