Forum: RSpec Better visualizations of spec running time besides --profile?

74283a8aa16c958f3d48d41d96c99577?d=identicon&s=25 John Feminella (Guest)
We have about 2,000 specs in a Rails app that take roughly 80 seconds
to run, and I'm trying to improve the performance of things a bit.

While the profile mode has proven useful so far, it only shows the top
ten slowest specs. Unfortunately, we have lot of specs, and we've
picked off all the low-hanging fruit -- the ones remaining are all <
~0.1 sec or less. I'd like to streamline things further by seeing if
there's a way to get information about slow spec *files* (not just
individual specs), because I suspect that slower specs will be next to
other slow specs.

Any ideas about how I can get this information, or do I need to roll
my own benchmarker?

~ jf
--
John Feminella
Principal Consultant, BitsBuilder

Julian
85d99e7678d8720f6e00ab0f60fe6ea9?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Premdas (Guest)
On 31 August 2011 23:06, John Feminella <johnf@bitsbuilder.com> wrote:

> Any ideas about how I can get this information, or do I need to roll
> my own benchmarker?
>
> ~ jf

This might be useful

http://opinionated-programmer.com/2011/02/profilin...

> --
> John Feminella
> Principal Consultant, BitsBuilder
> LI: http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnxf
> SO: http://stackoverflow.com/users/75170/

E540cdc2ce3a8fc669d040143ed3d461?d=identicon&s=25 Ash Moran (Guest)
On 31 Aug 2011, at 23:06, John Feminella wrote:

> Any ideas about how I can get this information, or do I need to roll
> my own benchmarked?

Hi John

While not an answer to your question, you might like this post "Why I
dont use spork" as an alternative perspective. Kevin's argument is that
"Spork solves the wrong problem".

After Nikolay taught me that you can have multiple RSpec guards in a
Guardfile, having a Rails-independent lib with continuous development
testing seems pretty feasible. (I haven't tried it, but I'm tangentially
involved in a project where we may be able to give it a go.)

BTW there's also the Destroy All Software screencast "Fast Tests With
and Without Rails"[2] which I found yesterday, sounds to describe the
same idea. I haven't watched it yet though (maybe somebody else here
has?) - $9 is a lot of money to spend on a whim you know :)

HTH in some way

Cheers
Ash

[1] http://silkandspinach.net/2011/08/08/why-i-dont-use-spork/