Forum: Ruby on Rails Reload of lib content

Fabd49e8971608e9b96ef86247154c32?d=identicon&s=25 KÃ¥re (Guest)

It seems like the content of my lib folder no longer is reloaded
automatically. I need to restart the WEBrick server after a file has
been modified. Someone know how to prevent caching in this directory?
I'm running rails 0.14.3.2969

Thanks, regards and peace!
Dfc2a545a0c4f542d69f89a782714e8e?d=identicon&s=25 jqshenker (Guest)
I believe only classes decended from Rails classes (such as
ActiveRecord::Base) reload automagically. I don't know if there is a
way to make other classes reload, I'd love to know too.

Jacob
Fba04dfe5f677c48caee082d87c15b9f?d=identicon&s=25 phil (Guest)
I have a many to many relationship for two tables (topics and groups)
and a
join table for the two tables (groups_topics)

I have code working where I can access all the topics for a group by
group.topic, which returns an array of topic instances.  This works
fine.

The problem is that there might be 1000s of topics valid for a
particular
group.  One use case I have is I just want to see if one specific topic
is
valid for a group.  Using the above, I'd have to iterate the array to
find
this out.  It seems like there should be a faster way where I can
leverage a
condition ("topic_name=blah") instead of returning/iterating a huge
result
set.

I saw a blurb in the agile rails book on this subject, but it didn't
give
enough detail for me to understand....

phil
132a94ca65959bda6c74fae54bff2425?d=identicon&s=25 ezra (Guest)
I believe that's what require_dependency 'foo' does. It reloads the
required file on each request but only in development mode.

-Ezra

On Nov 29, 2005, at 7:53 PM, Jacob Quinn Shenker wrote:

>> automatically. I need to restart the WEBrick server after a file has

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
ezra@yakima-herald.com
509-577-7732
F7975423060c2c9e4395dca3ae870771?d=identicon&s=25 De Railed (kitesurfer)
on 2005-11-30 06:48
Thanks Erra for the response. I have asked this exact question a while
back but got no answers...
A2c85dc5ee81b12e3cc0a6522e8d079d?d=identicon&s=25 christopher.k.hall (Guest)
how do you differentiate between a non-valid group and a valid group?
Fba04dfe5f677c48caee082d87c15b9f?d=identicon&s=25 phil (Guest)
There is another table for users.. So I find the correct User instance
and
then use "user.group" to get the correct instance of Group

I've read that one approach is to create a model for the join table
groups_topics. but I have no clue how to proceed from there.

Any help on this stuff would be greatly appreciated!

phil

  _____

On 11/29/05, Phil Swenson <phil@collectiveintellect.com> wrote:

[...]

ah, i misread...

given an arbitrary topic, you want to see if its associated with a
group...

easy.

arbitrary_topic = Topic.find(1234)
group = Group.find(1, :include => :topics)

# find out if arbitrary topic is associated with group
#
if group.topics.include?(arbitrary_topic)
  # found the topic in the group
else
  # did not find topic in group
end
A2c85dc5ee81b12e3cc0a6522e8d079d?d=identicon&s=25 christopher.k.hall (Guest)
i suppose you could even do

group = Group.find(1)
topic = group.topics.find(1234)

documentation doesn't specify what is returned from find so it could be
RecordNotFound exception or nil if the record does not exist.
Fba04dfe5f677c48caee082d87c15b9f?d=identicon&s=25 phil (Guest)
This is helping..getting further.

I tried this:

group.topic.find(:first, :conditions=>[ "symbol=?", "LM"])

and get:

ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound: Couldn't find Topic with ID in ('---
:first','--- \n:conditions: \n  - \"symbol=?\"\n  - L

M')

        from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-1.11.1/lib/active_record/associa
tions/has_and_belongs_to_many_a

ssociation.rb:77:in `find'

        from (irb):112

        from :0

"symbol" is a column in the "Topics" table

Not sure why though???

  _____

<mailto:phil@collectiveintellect.com> > wrote:

[...]

that's because find() for a habtm only works on the id column, as in my
example.

what you probably want is

topic = group.topics.detect { |t| t.symbol == "LM" }
41165a7e7126d616a0ae0762e00718e2?d=identicon&s=25 bigsmoke (Guest)
On 11/30/05, Phil Swenson <phil@collectiveintellect.com> wrote:
>  ________________________________
>
>  valid for a group.  Using the above, I'd have to iterate the array to find
>  this out.  It seems like there should be a faster way where I can leverage
>  condition ("topic_name=blah") instead of returning/iterating a huge result
>  set.

You could try: topic.groups.find(group_id)
Or, you could try: group.topics.find(topic_id)

Both examples assume that you have has_and_belongs_to_many setup
correctly.

Iteration to check on a relation is completely nonsensical.  If the
method you need is not available, you still have the complete,
expressive power of SQL at your disposal.

>  Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm not sure if this is the right direction for you, but I hope it
helps,

 - Rowan