Forum: Ruby on Rails significance of "action" and "active" names

petermichaux (Guest)

Is there any significance to the choice of the words "active" and
"action"
as in ActiveRecord, ActionPack, ActiveView, ActionController,
ActionMailer?
Why wasn't ActionRecord acceptable?

Thanks,
Peter
orsini (Guest)
>  Is there any significance to the choice of the words "active" and
> "action" as in ActiveRecord, ActionPack, ActiveView, ActionController,
> ActionMailer? Why wasn't ActionRecord acceptable?

Active Record is named after an ORM (Object Relational Mapping) design
pattern.

http://www.martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/activeRecord.html

Rob